Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

I added a comment to FS#2480 which was the continuation bug for the new symptoms.

I have just upgraded my R7800 to the most recent master version with all the mac802011 bumps and after that my wifi was behaving weirdly. First, wifi did not come up for whatever reason. I accessed the router via cable and then realized that wifi country code was missing and since I was using channel 157, log was saying that the channel was missing from the list of usable frequencies. I then adjusted configurations but even then it was misbehaving. Wifi would come up but no devices connected. I have wds configured on 5GHz and maybe it has something to do with it... I didn't investigate further what was causing the problem and had to revert to the previous version from maybe 7 days ago. Anyone noticed similar problems?

I also have similar wifi problem on my R7800 since 2 day ago on master versions, when I restart any of the radio the other one goes down, I can only fix it by restarting the router.

Same problem here, Also having it on my WRT1900AC-V2. Guess it is a universal issue, nothing ATH10k specific. I already went back to the master version just before the hostapd commits from Hauke, but that isn't the solution either, must be something else.

I went to back to version r13246 from maybe 5-6 days ago and it solved my problems. Maybe some commit since then?

Yes , that's correct, not a driver issue, possibly caused by this https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/b5516603dd90215d5cdc5bac7ea496a6c758bb0f, reverting the commit fix it.

Running master-r13325-289c632425-20200521-ath10k-test I noticed that the temperatures dropped by about 2C and it's not getting colder inside the house, if anything it's getting warmer. Not sure if it's the "old" wifi driver/firmware or other changes around wifi that are contributing to this. I didn't make any config changes and load is what I normally see.
I run 800MHz min freq on the CPU and let it go up from there but never under 800. Highest temp reported by the sensors is 55C, used to be 57-58C.

my current main router is a wrt1900acs v1 and now i'm thinking about getting a r7800 after reading this thread. anyone here can share how its 2.4ghz radio signal strength compares to the wrt1900acs v1? i'm hoping the 2.4ghz radio range on the r7800 is longer than the wrt1900acs. my doorbell camera can sure benefit from a stronger 2.4ghz radio. thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cannot compare with wrt1900, but I can say that the r7800 range is very good.

2 Likes

I think my AC-V2 is pretty much identical to your ACS-V1. What is see is that the R7800 has a better 5ghz range for sure. 2.4 is not that much different. Currently a bit hard to compare as the routers are in the opposite end of the house. typically both are running quite smooth and without to much issues for day-to-day usage.

1 Like

i'm also wondering if there is any negative impact from the r7800 cpu scaling? from what i understand the r7800 cpu could run anywhere from 384mhz on idle to 1700mhz under a load. or is there a setting the turns off the cpu scaling to maintain highest performance?

It is no necessary, but possible.

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
1 Like

I think DD-WRT keeps it locked at max by default by setting the performance governor as above. I set mine to use min 800MHz and just let it go up from there:

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_min_freq
echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
echo 10 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor
2 Likes

Yes DDWRT runs the CPU at max frequency 1725 MHz, but a lot of people use the on demand with the settings you are using but with 35 for up-threshold.
I did performance testing and with these settings compared with running at max frequency i could not find any differences.
That said running at max maybe increased the temp with 1 degree so that did not make a huge difference either

2 Likes

Hello i have both routers and for me the WRT1900ACS v1 has better range, not by much but the Linksys would win in a photo finish so save your money for another day

1 Like

good to know and thanks. i know wrt1900acs v1 range is good but the doorbell camera is the farthest wireless network device from the main router hence i'm investigating if there is another openwrt supported router with a much longer range.

IMHO you shoud buy cheapest supported router/ap and setup it as extender/WDS. It'll solve your problem with signal strength in far area.

1 Like

i think you're right but i may pick up a r7800 if a good deal comes along.

1 Like

r7800s are getting more and more affordable. Wireless AX still has multiple issues that are going to take time to sort out OFDMA fully:

r7800 remains one of the most powerful all in one open source options, we are still a ways off from more powerful all in one options. :sunglasses:

1 Like

802.11ax might follow in 802.11ac's footsteps and have Wave 1 and Wave 2 versions, so it's a good idea to wait until ax is mature.

1 Like