Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

Have u try fastpath? Not sure if it will help but why not give a try

1 Like

how do I enable it?

With OpenWrt (and DD-WRT) it's limited as no hardware acceleration proprietary to OEM firmware, so NAT will be slower. With OpenWrt you need to use "FastPath". With DD-WRT this is called "SFE" (shortcut forwarding engine), also known as CTF (cut-through forwarding).

All of these do a similar job at bypassing layers to run faster, approaching HW accelerated speed. For comparison the OEM firmware R7800 will do about 1.4Gbits up/down max. Similarly, running DD-WRT on the R7000 or R7800 and enabling "SFE" allows it to hit around 800-900Mbits, pretty close to the OEM.

The WRT3200ACM / WRT32X have FastPath enabled with the latest OpenWrt builds, from davidc502, etc... Assuming R7800 is similar.

no, here no build of r7800 with fastpath enabled.
there are no custom builds with advanced features in the forum.
only plain basic build with a bunch of standard opkg included that everyone can install with luci software page. really useless.

you are so rude

2 Likes

how about this Test-build for R7800, with DSA enabled? im using this firmware because i need to set link capabilities on wan port with ethtool (duplex/autoneg)

It's really not hard to do a custom build, you just download dissent1's patch from the old LEDE git repo, apply it (patch -p0 < sfe.patch), make menuconfig and select the correct kmod.

I'm running it on the latest OpenWRT master on my R7800

The real solution though is to get IPQ8065 on the 4.14 kernel to use flow offload, but there are issues with the kernel partition needing to be resized so it fits.

kernel 4.14 has now landed in master for ipq806x, keep in mind that the kernel partitions have been resized (increased to 4 MB) for all netgear devices, these require upgrading (or downgrading to 18.06.x or 17.01.x) via tftp.

2 Likes

After upgrade to 4.14, I'm getting extremely low network throughtput. Samba copy files 2M/s, Revert back to 4.9 I get 50M/s.

ummm.... i have 20 MB/s think it's your problem

Do we still need set_cpu_affinity script on 4.14? Or do we need to update the script (path etc)?

EDIT:
set_cpu_affinity script need some update since new board_name is "netgear,r7800". But even i correct the script and reboot I still get 2MB/s cap on network throughtput. That's weird.

After tried the new build which is the same base as master branch I still get the same result.

ipq806x target (including R7800) in 18.06 was bumped into 4.14 a few minutes ago.

This means that the “sysupgrade break” and forced TFTP flash usage will move into between

• 17.01, old 18.06 builds, old master builds
    and
  • new master builds, new 18.06 builds
1 Like

i also read about switch to qca8k and switch to dsa driver... confirmed? or just an useless request?

confirmed, no - but actively under consideration/ testing and planned.

Im testing DSA right now on current master-branch with 4.14, because i need to set link capabilites on wan port with ethtool (duplex/autoneg)

Can anyone comment on the implications of QCA8k and DSA?

DSA, so no sysupgrade. Potential hardware NAT. Maybe a speedup.

edit: oh also swconfig is completely custom OpenWrt hackery. DSA is upstream.

There is also a rather practical impact for users with multi-wan, who need the same vlan tag (e.g. for VDSL) on two independent ports. That is possible with DSA, but not via swconfig.

Well someone needs to create a transaction scripts.. or user that switch from swconfig to DSA will have ethernet port offline...

Also we don't have any script or Luci app to set vlanid tagging or port grouping

Except using 0. And interface grouping.

About qca8k... To update we will need tftp flash
Benefits= less kernel byte and better optimization