Netgear D7800 - No internet

see anything in

> logread

or graphically .... there is a logpage somewhere...

does your ONT have multiple ports?.... your 100% certain it's the same port / cable combination as was working with OEM firmware?

-have you tried powering down both devices ( mostly the VDSL box ) for 12mins?
-did you try tagging 100?

can you paste output from this in code tags

cat /etc/config/network

remove user/pass if it's in there
use putty.exe to login to router ip.

and yes.... a ppp direct from a laptop > NTE/VDSL-modem would rule in / out a few things....

1 Like
2 Likes

It just adds this to the system log over and over.

Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is now down
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is setting up now
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - slhc
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - ppp_generic
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - pppox
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - pppoe
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.info pppd[1950]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.info pppd[1950]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8p compiled against pppd 2.4.7
Thu Jan 31 00:03:52 2019 daemon.notice pppd[1950]: pppd 2.4.7 started by root, uid 0
Thu Jan 31 00:04:08 2019 daemon.warn pppd[1950]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Thu Jan 31 00:04:08 2019 daemon.err pppd[1950]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Thu Jan 31 00:04:08 2019 daemon.info pppd[1950]: Exit.

No, it doesn't. Yes, I'm 100% sure I'm using the same ports and cables. It's a pretty straight forward setup.

I restarted it, but didn't leave it off for 12 minutes. It's hard even switching between routers, as my family get annoyed when the internet is down.

Where exactly do I add this? The only place that I can find is on the switching page, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'
config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd93:c13b:4349::/48'
config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth1.1'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth0.2'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option username 'username'
        option password 'password'
        option ipv6 'auto'
config interface 'wan6'
        option ifname 'eth0.2'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
config switch
option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'
config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '1 2 3 4 6t'
config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '2'
        option ports '5 0t'
1 Like

Sweet as.

Do in the best quiet time that suits your world. Not so helpful on Easter weekend!

For vlan tag.... I believe..... You would;

interfaces > wan > edit
[tab] > physical
interface + [dropdown] > custom interface
[enter] eth0.100
[ save apply blah blah ]

Switch to TAG on that port
network > switch > add
eth0+tagged ( internal )
wan+tagged
eth1+off ( default )

I'm not the best with this stuff... so best to wait for more input....

Simple to change back tho....

1 Like

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.
However, it's probably worth me noting that I bought (and I'm returning to Amazon) a GL.Net B1300 earlier in the week and it didn't require any tweaking to connect to the same provider, either with its customised version of OpenWrt or with the vanilla OpenWrt that I flashed. This leaves me wondering whether the D7800 might end up on eBay and me replacing it with an EA6350v3 or an RT-AC58U. I'm not sure that many people on here are using the D7800.

I tried adding the VLAN tag and it made no difference. The WAN interface definitely is eth0 in the physical settings, right?

I came across D7800 wan not working with 100Mbit, and I'm wondering if sticking a switch between the D7800 and NTD is the next step. If only my wife wasn't up and whinging about her wifi not working, I could do the 3 minute test now. :wink:

Putting a switch between router and modem is definately worth a test. As would doing a factory reset (firstboot) on the d7800 and start over from scratch (as the switch config should be o.k. as is, with your previous tests maybe skewing the results).

1 Like

I just tried it and it didn't work.

I did that yesterday after changing various settings.

Maybe it simply doesn't work and everyone is using the R7800, so no-one (but me) is reporting issues!

Why is there 2 WAN interfaces? One with VLAN ID 2 untagged, and one tagged 100?

Looking at this youtube video on setting up VLANS there is only one.

1 Like

I don't have that in my current config. Does this config look OK? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dl6tPZdx7HfFwxQWel3hhjl9doFE5s8S

Change the VLAN ID from 2 to 100
Change the WAN/VLAN-100 from untagged to tagged.

1 Like

Reset your router and do what mbo2o has written below.

1 Like

I reset the device and then did this. Still no internet.

Time to call your ISP for help

Read that as well. It needs to be a gigabit ethernet switch not just fast ethernet

Yes, ebswift and I have been communicating on Whirlpool today (an Australian forum). His setup is different to mine in that he's using a bridged VDSL modem with his.

I'm using a gigabit switch and have confirmed with him that I was trying the same cable setup as him. Still no luck. I think I might call it quits.

hi man, its been about a year xD
and i purchased this same router D7800 specialy for the high ram and flash.

however when installing open wrt the WAN port does not want work , even tho i set a static ip.
this is driving me crazy as i spend couple hundrend bucks on this only for costume firmware.

opened a thread for that, D7800 Wan problem

wanted to ask ya, have u solve this issue ?

cheers.

Nope. I returned it to stock and sold it. Best thing I ever did.

I will say this though. I bought a R7500v2 from the US and had it shipped to Australia, and it had the same issue with the WAN port with OpenWrt. It must be something to do with providers in Australia. Both models worked fine with stock firmware.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.