Need SMB1 opkg and your help, too!

Great read about the history of SMB
Sorry about that one, what I meant was:

I tested a modern PC running Windows7 with the Samba on the Teltonica box and it worked fine (negotiation SMB2 successful - checked via Wireshark)
Then I tested the same setup with the Windows95 machine and it didn´t work out (attempt of negotiation SMB2 unsuccessful - checked via Wireshark)

There was no attempt to negotiate lower than SMB2 so here is where the configuration comes in. I am still reading this:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html

Finding a lot of hints to legacy systems, SMB1, etc.

Unfortunalely on the Teltonika, I can not find a smb.conf but I am guessing that this is due to the vendor doing their own thing. What I did find however was a file called: "smb.conf.template"

root@beta:/etc/samba# ls
lowcase.dat        smbpasswd          valid.dat
smb.conf.template  upcase.dat
root@beta:/etc/samba# cat smb.conf.template
[global]
        netbios name = |NAME|
        display charset = |CHARSET|
        interfaces = |INTERFACES|
        server string = |DESCRIPTION|
        unix charset = |CHARSET|
        workgroup = |WORKGROUP|
        browseable = yes
        deadtime = 30
        domain master = yes
        encrypt passwords = true
        enable core files = no
        guest account = nobody
        guest ok = yes
        invalid users = root
        local master = yes
        load printers = no
        map to guest = Bad User
        max protocol = SMB2
        min receivefile size = 16384
        null passwords = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        os level = 20
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        preferred master = yes
        printable = no
        security = user
        smb encrypt = disabled
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        syslog = 2
        use sendfile = yes
        writeable = yes

Am I on the right track here?

No.

I'm guessing we're having a language barrier. I:

• Don't think Windows 95 did SMB2
  • Don't think SMB1 existed for Linux

:point_down:
https://teltonika-networks.com/after-sales-support-service/
:point_up:

OpenWrt does not support 3rd party firmware.

Sure it did. SMB2 was introduced with Windows Vista in 2006. The Samba project was started in 1991.

1 Like

The OP still should ask the OEM if support is needed.

@Somon

server min protocol = NT1

See: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html

Yes, modify that to include a min protocol line.
You can examine /etc/init.d/samba.
I can see in a later version that it copied the template file to /var/etc/smb.conf (and populates some variables) and then runs from there.

1 Like

I found out that the smb.conf is only created, when the samba function on the device is activated.
This is why I had trouble finding it...

So now finally I have the file and its contents:

root@beta:/etc/samba# cat smb.conf
[global]
        netbios name = Router_Share
        display charset = UTF-8
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8 lo 192.168.178.254/24 br-lan
        server string = Router_Share
        unix charset = UTF-8
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        browseable = yes
        deadtime = 30
        domain master = yes
        encrypt passwords = true
        enable core files = no
        guest account = nobody
        guest ok = yes
        invalid users = root
        local master = yes
        load printers = no
        map to guest = Bad User
        max protocol = SMB2
        min receivefile size = 16384
        null passwords = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        os level = 20
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        preferred master = yes
        printable = no
        security = user
        smb encrypt = disabled
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        syslog = 2
        use sendfile = yes
        writeable = yes

[homes]
        comment     = Home Directories
        browsable   = no
        read only   = no
        create mode = 0750

[12345]
        path = /mnt/sda1
        valid users = NCUSER
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
root@beta:/etc/samba#

@lleachii hinted to set "NT1" to "server min protocol" and I did find this in "the SMB Bible":

server min protocol (G)

This setting controls the minimum protocol version that the server will allow the client to use.
Normally this option should not be set as the automatic negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the appropriate protocol unless you have legacy clients which are SMB1 capable only.
See
Related command: server max protocol

for a full list of available protocols.
Default: server min protocol = SMB2_02
Example: server min protocol = NT1

I now have to learn how to edit this file via SSH - I found the command "nano" but that doesnt work. Now I am in the process to try it with copy/paste "cat"

Getting closer now, thank you for your patience so far!

No problem...but don't you think your own router's forum would be better???

https://community.teltonika-networks.com/

I started a post thete before I came here.
Got the information there that i am looking at openwrt with busybox on board. Also learned about opkgs there and decided this was a great opportunity to learn more about linus an openwrt, ssh cinsole commands, etc.

...that brought me here.
@lleachii you have hinted about this more than once so; is there something wrong with my enquiry here or some kind of etiquette I have breached?

It is not so much an issue of etiquette here, but rather the fact that you appear to have an old and vendor specific branch of OpenWrt. As time goes on and new versions are released, the old ones are not officially supported and the forum is less able to help in large part because of the fact that it is old enough that people forget the nuances of how those old versions worked since so much has changed. Further, the vendor specific branches have customizations that may materially affect the way that OpenWrt functions, even relative to the official version that it is based on. Combine those two things together and the (volunteer) community is not necessarily going to have the required knowledge to help you resolve the issue. The vendor or the community forums for those products will be a much better place to get information and help.

3 Likes

Just for some context @Somon , there has been some discussion amongst forum regulars around supporting "unofficial" builds. See below (expand for more). This isn't to dissuade you from asking your question, more to manage your expectations of what can reasonably be done.

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

We're doing OK so far trying to get you going with samba, and i truly think we are probably on the right path to getting your issue sorted. However if we hit a brick wall eventually it will be "seek your vendors help", as there may be something that doesn't make sense from a vanilla OpenWrt perspective.
So in my opinion, keep going and see where we get to! Just don't be too surprised or upset if we do reach a point of not being able to assist you further. It certainly wouldn't be for lack of trying (in this case).

3 Likes

...took a while but I can report full success! I thought the comments made about asking Teltonika instead of asking here had something to do that the vendor got money from me buying their product, so consequently I should ask them for help. That may or may also play a role here, but nonetheless I am grateful for your help. In my view (like I posted earlier), it was about learning about openWRT and SSH console commands in order to make it do stuff. Before I didn´t know much - now I still don´t know much compared to most people here, but from my perspective I have learned a lot.

I have learned how to navigate directories with ls, open files with cat, replace / modify the contents with cat > and cat >>, delete stuff with rm and generally finding my bearings with openWRT and a nonGUI operating system. Before, I just had Windows experience with command prompts and PowerShell.

So I´d like to announce, that with your help I can now save data from a Win95 machine to a Samba share on the Teltonika box and access that share from modern computers with higher SMB standard, which do not support SMB1. This means I don´t have to compromise security on the modern computers by lowering the SMB support to SMB1 - but can still exchange data with the legacy Windows OS.

Once again, thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated and without you guys I would not have been able to learn about or achieve this.

Case closed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am glad you got it fixt Somon. :+1::+1::blush:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.