Need recommendation for dedicated wireless VPN AP/router to existing network

Looking into adding a dedicated wireless VPN AP/router to my current home network so that devices that doesn't support VPN provider's app can access to VPN networks on demand by switching AP - mainly for unblocking geo-locked contents .

Upon searching, I've found that GLiNet's products are often recommended as they are extremely easy to set up. However, the OpenVPN performance of the GL iNet Beryl (GL-MT1300) is slightly below my personal requirements and wireguard is not an option at the moment with the VPN provider that I'm currently subscribed to (will consider changing once my annual subscription ends)

Meanwhile, I found that the Beryl (GL-MT1300) is priced about the same as a Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB) starter kit with the required accessories. Hence I was wondering if the RPi4 could be an option.
Pros : Slight better OpenVPN performance, RPi4 is more versatile and can be repurposed for other usage in the future
Cons : Trickier to set up, weak wifi signal from the built in wireless adapter

Given the circumstances above,are there any other hardware do you guys recommend for a dedicated VPN AP? Portability is a plus point which is why I short listed the above. But if there's a cheaper but more powerful alternative, I might consider it. Thanks for the help

At the same price point you could get a Belkin RT3200, which should have more than enough performance. Plus, it's WiFi6, so it's a good long-term investment.

1 Like