Need people testing ipq40xx DSA PR

My approach to this is indeed a little different: If converting to DSA means that things that used to work will break, why should I do that? A perfectly working device will start getting broken images, and people will get mad if they install it (and I fully understand that to be honest). If DSA isn't in a state where it's working for normal usage it should not be used yet.

In the end it's all a question of how you want to approach this though, and both options are perfectly valid.

@PolynomialDivision does this PR mean that the latest v23 snapshots for the MR8300 do not actually use DSA? I thought DSA was one of the main upcoming features of v23!

The MR8300, like all ipq40xx devices, is using DSA in master, and will do so in 23.xy.0 (unless really major issues arise, ...months ago).

Devices which haven't been converted to DSA (very few by now) won't be part of 23.xy (as in no images available and at high risk to be be dropped for good).

Thank you for that @slh. What does this PR do then that is different to what is in the master branch or has it been selectively merged?

Hi.
I'm presently using a MR8300 with master snapshot, and it's running with DSA since late december.

1 Like

I personally tend to disagree, especially regarding devices which are very popular in OpenWrt and are unlikely to be left behind anyway; the pool of users is too big to be ignored in such cases. I can't believe that R7800 for instance will be left behind to 22.xy forever because simply didn't make it into DSA. Paradoxically, this is exactly what happens with R7800.. Apparently it will move to 23.xy without having DSA finalized (unless I miss something). I proposed several open items to be resolved before releasing 23.xy for this device, here, so that many of us have at least a last known good configuration. I am still at hnyman's 19.07 HEAD for instance, and am waiting for a relatively "bulletproof" build that is worth upgrading to.

Easy to say though, I have to admit. Both opinions are valid from different point of views as @Flole says.

ipq806x as a target, as a whole, didn't switch to DSA, yet - it could, it's functional and ready (but slower). ipq40xx as a target however did make the jump this time (here the question was easier, as the previous swconfig driver was badly broken when it came to VLAN support) - and this decision is all-or-nothing. This means all ipq40xx devices need to be migrated, whatever won't get ready in time, won't be part of the upcoming release (and already isn't part of the daily master snapshots right now).

The decision DSA or swconfig applies to the whole target, to all devices of the given target - but has to be taken for each target individually. Popular devices tend to get the necessary attention earlier than less popular ones (and that's what you are seeing here, most of the popular ones were already done before the DSA switch itself got merged, the others (which didn't make it in time for the PR pre-merge) follow on by one).

ath79 as a target may be too diverse (spanning around a decade of devices, different SOC generations, as well as partially non-QCA switch chipsets) for a one-step migration to DSA (it's largely ready, for ar8327/ ar8337, but not for qca9331 and similar) for its ~hundred of devices. There a more piecemeal approach will be required (DEVICE_PACKAGES or a legacy/ swconfig sub-target), simply because the devices are too different and too many, to get this done in one go - but that's a different topic (ipq40xx and ipq806x are more uniform and less 'special').

(ipq40xx-) Devices that won't make it to DSA before kernel v6.1 gets merged into master (=remain disabled), won't get noticed when it comes to adapting their DTS to the new kernel, which would imply one more nail for their coffin - then they are at huge risk to get removed for good.

@p.p Were you able to test again the new conversion?

Sorry, not yet. Tonight or tomorrow morning.

I have 5 units of this one

Luma Home WRTQ-329ACN

I can test it if you send me the image.

Cheers

It's already converted and images are available here:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq40xx/generic/openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-luma_wrtq-329acn-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

But thanks. :slight_smile:

I have sent you the logread output from the second firmware with both LAN ports working (or is there a newer build?) via mail. I don't see anything in it regard the default configuration, though.

1 Like

I finally made the step that I wanted to make so long ago already. I upgraded my AVM FRITZ!Box 4040 to a snapshot with DSA. I must say, setting it up was really such a good experience. I have devided my network in 3 vlans. Daily use, IOT and guest. And setting that up before was really a struggle thanks to that old broken driver. Now, with this DSA version, I did set it up the way I had in mind and it just works.

For me it really is an improvement. Great work, guys.

It's ezviz CS-W3-WD1200G EUP already converted to dsa?

No. Could you please post the output of: swconfig dev switch0 show|grep link

Please also look for the mac addresses of the device so you can later compare it. It would be nice, to compare them with stock firmware.

1 Like

I'm on bussiness trip, when i be back at home next week might spend some time on this. Thanks

Trashpicked a Netgear EX6100v2 from a thrift store for $5 and flashed the latest OpenWRT snapshot.

Getting these errors on boot (which don't seem to affect anything):

Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.info kernel: [    0.763027] spi-nor spi0.0: w25q128 (16384 Kbytes)
Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.notice kernel: [    0.768616] 13 fixed-partitions partitions found on MTD device spi0.0
Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.err kernel: [    0.773126] OF: Bad cell count for /soc/spi@78b5000/mx25l12805d@0/partitions
Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.err kernel: [    0.779623] OF: Bad cell count for /soc/spi@78b5000/mx25l12805d@0/partitions
Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.err kernel: [    0.787219] OF: Bad cell count for /soc/spi@78b5000/mx25l12805d@0/partitions
Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.err kernel: [    0.793807] OF: Bad cell count for /soc/spi@78b5000/mx25l12805d@0/partitions
Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.err kernel: [    0.801193] OF: Bad cell count for /soc/spi@78b5000/mx25l12805d@0/partitions
Thu Jul 13 00:29:39 2023 kern.err kernel: [    0.807863] OF: Bad cell count for /soc/spi@78b5000/mx25l12805d@0/partitions

Was also getting this kernel log associated with WiFi dropouts with the ath10k-firmware-qca4019-ct:

ath10k_ahb a000000.wifi: mac flush vdev 1 drop 0 queues 0x2 ar->paused: 0x0 arvif->paused: 0x0

After switching back to mainline ath10k-firmware-qca4019, this error is gone and the system is otherwise working great.

works pretty well with bridger and the irq affinity set across all 4 cpu
it seems like this driver is the only real holdup from switching ipq40xx over to linux kernel 6.1

doesn't seem to have been mainlined, but that said it doesn't seem like it would be super hard to convert over

The Netgear EX6100v2 has a physical switch which controls GPIO pin 58. Here is the configuration. I'm not sure how to add this as code into the device tree.

Switch up
gpio58 : in high

Switch down
gpio58 : in low

Hi @PolynomialDivision I have EnGenius EMD1 I can test. Let me know.