Need New DavidC502 Thread

Since this isn't the official davidc502 thread, I'd like to go slightly off topic. I'm in the market for second router and want the best.

How's the WRT3200ACM / WRT32X right now? I've heard the CPU is locked at max clock speed without scaling and RF output is not adjustable with OpenWrt. Neither of these are good for efficiency. How about the USB 3.0 port? I read on OEM firmware it's good for an insane 100MB/s read/write, basically NAS-like performance. Is it this fast on OpenWrt?

Otherwise I might go for the R7800 which seems to be more polished right now, albeit with slower USB 3.0 performance (I've heard closer to 50MB/s rw). Thanks.

Got myself a new router so I cleaned up my work and put it up on github. It's now organized so that it shouldn't conflict with the base tree and I can easily keep up with the latest master. I only build for ipq806x devices as that's what I have, but my profiles are easily converted to other devices.

1 Like

Could u tell us which device you are using right now ?
And why u gave up on the WRT AC series ? :wink:

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think CPU overclocking is supported on any of the WRT routers.
I have a WRT32X running extremely well on OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r7177.
Samba transfer speeds are 90-110 Mbps.
I love the dual-partition. If you're like me and live in a house where family members will physically assault you if the WiFi is down for more than a few moments - it's a great feature. :wink:
There are a few people on the DD-WRT Forum who left the WRT3200 for the R7800 and rave about the performance on Merlin.
Hope this helps!

The CPU scaling I'm referring to is the CPU clocking down, not up. Modern CPUs will scale down from the max as needed depending on load to reduce power/heat. This is something the WRT line does from OEM firmware, but I read still isn't supported with OpenWrt. The R7800 has it along with RF output scaling too. Just one of the things I was curious about. Thanks for the help though good to know USB is so fast on this router (assuming you meant 90-110 MBps which reviews have said OEM fw does).

CPU scaling is supported, the radios are locked at maximum power on V2 flavours, rango and venom(based on channel selection).

Does CPU scaling work with davidc's latest build ?
And the maximum power lockdown is a pretty lame setting imho ! Not everyone need to have their radios running at max power output !
Silly silly Marvel... Silly³ ! Hopefully that will change in the future... It's a real deal killer imho !

1 Like

Does OEM firmware really do that?
Care to point the relevant bits from OEM GPL sources?

As far as I know, the CPU frequency scaling had not been merged into upstream Linux and I doubt it has been integrated into OEM sources.

Would be really interesting if it has been, as that would enable us integrating it also to Openwrt.

I got a TP-Link Archer C2600 which I'm very happy with. My mods aren't tied to a specific device, as mentioned you can just adapt one of my configs and compile my tree for your own device.

Never had a WRT AC so haven't given up on it :slight_smile: From what I've read there's tons of issues with them? Also they look like crap IMO. Anyways, I think we derailed from the topic a bit here, so I'll leave it at that.

1 Like

Supported, yes, included, no idea.

The only issue that i got with my WRT3200acm is the Wifi performance/range in generall but it really got better from time to time...
Afaik there are no other issues but i'm not a experienced power user, so i can't tell you for 100% if there are other deal braking issues.
I'm using davidc's build from the beginning on (I haven't tried that crappy stock fw, just one time to test wifi) with SQM, Adblock, dnscrypt, ebtables and a few custom fw rules and im very happy.
And to be honest i don't like the look of that device either, compared to other AC devices... I do like the look of my little DIR-860L running as smart switch + AP ! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I make a fork of Kaloz github and now in the process of the patching for:

• remove weird country selection procedure, preventing 5G to operate at full power in my country
  • remove 5G DFS@5490 - it doesn't needed by local regulations as well
  • (seems like) make noscan working again

I post a link here then i have some release.

I use Dlenp from Aliexpress - works well for me.

@T-Troll seems to be fixed in mwlwifi-20180615.

@hnyman confused by your response you even detailed this in another thread here namely with the WRT3200ACM and R7800:

Speaking of liking the "looks" of a device, now that the WRT32X is supported, think this will by my next router. Probably the best looking router with black enclosure /blue LEDs :slight_smile:

Why?
I just asked for details about your claim that the OEM firmware in the WRT series does support frequency scaling. Because that is news to me.
In the message you quoted, I referred to 3rd-party things like Turris Omnia, and the RFC driver by Gregory Clement, but I nothing about Linksys OEM firmware.

Would be nice if that is true, because that would enable us to find Linksys-approved version of the driver.

On many reviews for the WRT3200ACM and WR32X power consumption tests showed it scale from about 11W to 14W depending on usage. I assumed this 25% increase was CPU and RF scaling based on demand. Perhaps this assumption was wrong based on what you're saying here, and it has more to do with just RF being either transmitting or idling.

Our processor 88f6820 economical, see how the Power changes from frequency change.
power

1 Like

@davidc502

FYI: Your new images are missing from the r7200 directory