Need help with VPN setup after changing ISP

This looks like it could be a third party build, from GL.inet in which case seek support there. I don't think there's an 99-startvpn script in official OpenWrt.

2 Likes

did a router upgrade but not sure what snapshot means

It looks like the best thing would be to do a reset of the modem I have the luci backup that I did first time but when I clicked the link from the very first help I received there is a lot more than I have copied can anyone tell me if or what I should add to luci please grateful for all help and advice I receive

Snapshot mean prototype.
When you say upgrade, do you mean a systemupgrade.bin file or a OPKG upgrade?

If you did do a opkg upgrade, don’t do that. If you did that you have to reinstall a new firmware.

You must at least have a snapshot installed if you have OVPN 2.5 because the stable releases of OWRT don’t have that software.

Take a screenshot of the login page in UCI or system overview page in LuCI. There it say in clear text what firmware you have installed.
Or copy the text of the firmware version.

Firmware Version OpenWrt 19.07.7 r11306-c4a6851c72 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-21.044.30835-34e0d65

If you have that firmware, how did you installed the OpenVPN 2.5.0 that the log say the system tries to start which is in fact also proofed by the fact that in the log file you provided, the OpenVPN tries to use elliptic curves for the asymmetric encryption in the key handling and that encryption technology isn’t available on OpenVPN 2.4.7-2 in OpenWRT 19.07.7.

And just to be extra sure I actually looked in my own 19.07.7 router and 2.4.7-2 is the OpenVPN version that is available, and no update to version 2.5.0 is available to download for the OpenVPN.

the only thing I have done is update firmware to latest as for the rest I am not really tech savvy so maybe I should just do a reset and see what happens was just hoping not to if I could get help with it

I don’t think a reset will help you. Why not go al the way since you have found this forum and install a new original unmodified OpenWRT 19.07.7 firmware for your device.

1 Like

if its not hard to do can you tell me how please

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/
If you have LuCI in some way I guess you should be able to just use the system update function in LuCI without saving the settings and choose the firmware file you downloaded from our firmware selector in the above link.

1 Like

I have the file how can I use luci to install it also what do I do with vpn does it have to be reinstalled

ok found the page in luci just need to know about vpn please

You will need to reinstall the VPN package after the update.
And any other package you have installed!

And install the config file for the VPN tunnel.

thanks what's the config file for vpn tunnel don't think I have that

Hmm, you really need to think about your question for a while...because that makes no sense what so ever!

The config file in /etc/openvpn of course.

wow thanks, I only know what a vpn does never heard of it being called a tunnel

ok have flashed the box it took me to luci page on start up cant get admin page if its a different web address how do I find it please

I cannot find admin page cannot set vpn up cannot reset firmware I think the box is bricked unless someone here can advise otherwise need help please!!

The standard LuCi address is 192.168.1.1

I have that I want the admin page where you put the vpn and other settings cant see how to do it with just luci