Need help with qos/sqm-qos

i just tried, does not make a difference, also cpu usage is minimum, this is so frustrating.

You just scratched the surface...and now you quit. ... you are quite fast ;- )

jaja im sorry thank you for your help thought, now im gonna give ddwrt another try since there is now a 2017 beta version, i really gonna miss if anything having the latest technology such latest wifi driver and cake qos disciplines etc.

Dd-wrt every two weeks has a new beta...you are welcome :- )

thank you i will give it a try, edit: now im stuck cant go back to factory, edit: found this https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=61847 but still have not found a solution to my issue, does anybody know how to fix it.

edit: also found this https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=68265 but i dont understated half of it, please im needing help.

@aniel - You're welcome to try DD-WRT, but if you want the cake/wifi-fixes, you can give LEDE another try.

To get the fastest data rates with low latency, please read the SQM Howto at: https://lede-project.org/docs/howto/sqm

If that doesn't seem to work well enough, please copy/paste the questions listed in the "Debugging SQM" posting (along with your answers) at: Debugging SQM to Eliminate Bufferbloat

This will help you get going with the "right stuff", and provide us enough information about your situation if it doesn't seem to be working. Thanks, and good luck!

thank you @richb-hanover, so it seen to be that i have do do it manually, something to do with the ip tables idk, but hey thank you for taking your time to give me that info i will take a look and report back,

Hi @aniel I realize we never said it, but our experience has shown that SQM has solved the latency problem for almost everyone, without needing any other tuning (especially with no additional settings of QoS or iptables...)

I realize this is counter to most people's expectations, but it really works. Most people using SQM can fully fill their connection with torrents/uploads/etc. and still game quite effectively.

My advice:

• do a clean install of LEDE 17.01.1,
  • install luci-app-sqm, and set the parameters as described in the Howto
  • Test your network.

It will probably be good enough without any other tuning. And if it's not good enough, then paste in answers to those questions and we can give more advice. Thanks!

1 Like

@richb-hanover
• What brand/model router do you have?=Rango 3200ACM
• What version of LEDE are you using?=Latest beta from here https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/mvebu/generic/
• How do you connect to the internet? Cable? DSL, other?=Cable
• What's your nominal/expected/advertised download speed? Upload speed?=250/30
• If you turn off all QoS/management, what are your measured download/upload speeds?=360/30
• What is the WAN "interface name" in the Network -> Interfaces page=eth1.2
• What parameters do you see in the Network -> SQM-QoS values? The most important are:
o Enable this SQM instance (should be checked)
o Interface name (should be the same as the "WAN interface name" from above)
o The number entered for Download Speed (in kbps)=359000
o The number entered for Upload Speed (in kbps)=29000
o Queue discipline (default is "piece of cake" if it's a new build, or fq_codel)=cake with peace of cake
o Set "Which Link Layer to account for:"
 If you're on cable, should be "none"=yes
 If you're using DSL/ADSL, should be "ATM", and Per-Packet Overhead (in the Link Adaptation tab) should be 44
 If you're using VDSL2, should be Ethernet with overhead and Per-Packet Overhead should be 8

Now I agreed with you that SQM-QoS make my network traffic perfect, im not complaining about that, what im saying or trying to accomplish is having torrents running at full speed while prioritizing gaming (ps4) and ftp upload/download (home/media server). Essentially what I want is for example, lets say im away and I want to watch a movie or tv show on the go from my server using kodi as an example, I would like the router to slower down torrents and prioritized that ftp request. That is all im asking and thank you.

Thanks for all those settings. I'm very pleased that the network is working well.

Lots of times there's no need to add special configuration to "penalize" certain kinds of traffic because cake/piece-of-cake are designed to provide fairness both for low latency and for a share of bandwidth.

I don't mean to be rude, but how do you know that you aren't getting the performance you want now? Do you have measurements that show what's happening?

• Have you measured ftp speeds with and without SQM enabled?
  • Have you measured latency/lag while you're gaming and torrenting (and, of course, ftp'ing a movie?)

If they're good, then you're all finished. (Watch another movie!). And if they're not what you want, please let us know which measurements are a problem (we already have the data from the message above.) Best regards.

sorry forgot to mention, this is how im doing the test, i open torrent client which get to 2.5-3.2 on average in uploads, then i use my phone lte data and log in to my server (ftp) using an file explorer manager, then i try to download a movies, i look at the download speed (upload speed on my home network side) and then also keep an aye on the upload speed for the torrents and they dont slow down, so i would love to see the torrents slowing down so that i can get full upload speed for that movies, note: i say download because that how i measure the kbs/s or mbs/s for that matter, ideally for no buffering issues, will need uploads to hit from 700 to 1mb/s upload otherwise it will be a lot of buffering, so thta is why i need to prioritized the ps4/ftp over torrents (port 8999)

Does this fit together?

what do you mean?

Set the Download and Upload speeds to 80-95%

i guess i could do that but then i will have less upload speeds than what i currently have, also i think your are missing the point here. im just trying to find out a way to prioritize ftp over torrents, i found this https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=68265 but cant fully understand it, i think i have to prioritize it manually or something to do with iptables, but honestly i dont really know, im asking for your helps guys, now i have done it with ddwrt/pie but now i cant go back to ddwrt which is fine because i really like lede. question? does sqm qos know what to prioritized when it comes to torrents and ftps requests?

So on egress, with proper per-packet-overhead accounting* you can get close to 100% of link rate (that said DOCSIS is notoriously lumpy so you might not be able to reach 100%, so it is recommended to start with with say 80% and iteratively increase the bandwidth until you reach a trade-off point between latency under load increase and bandwidth sacrifice you are happy with). For ingress you really should give the shaper some room between the artificial bottleneck rate and the true bottleneck rate, other wise you will have to deal with the fact that in-rushing packet "floods" will easily "back-spill" into the CMTS's over-sized and under-managed buffers making your ingress shaper incapabale of keeping bufferbloat in check.

BTW, is the torrent client running on a different computer than the ftp? If yes than cakes dual-isolation modes, configured correctly might actually help a bit.

*) see https://lede-project.org/docs/howto/sqm#sqmlink_layer_adaptation_tab:
> "Ethernet with Overhead: SQM can also account for the overhead imposed by VDSL links - add 8 bytes of overhead. Cable Modems (DOCSIS) are known to typically use 28 bytes of overhead in the upstream direction but only 14 bytes in the downstream direction. If your version of SQM only supports to specify one value for the overhead, select 28 Bytes… UPDATE: while the reported numbers are not wrong per se, it turned out that the user traffic shaper mandated? by DOCSIS systems only account for L2 ethernet frames including the frame check sequence (FCS), so the 2017 recommendations for cable users is to set both up- and downstream overhead to 18 bytes (6 bytes source MAC, 6 bytes destination MAC, 2 bytes ether-type, 4 bytes FCS).

None: Fiber, and direct Ethernet connections generally do not need any kind of link layer adaptation.
The “Advanced Link Layer” choices are relevant if you are sending packets larger than 1500 bytes. This would be unusual for most home setups, since ISPs generally limit traffic to 1500 byte packets. UPDATE 2017, most recent link technologies will transfer complete L2 ethernet frames including the FCS; that in turn means that they will effectively all inherit the ethernet minimal packet size of 64 bytes. It is hence recommended to set tcMPU to 64. Note that most (but not all) ATM based links will exclude the FCS and hence probably do not require that setting. As of March 2017 sqm-scripts does not evaluate tcMPU if cake is selected as “link layer adaptation mechanism”.
Unless you are experimenting, you should use the default choice for the link layer adaptation mechanism. This will select cake if cake is used as qdisc other wise tc_stab."

hello @moeller0 while i really appreciate your answer i have to tell you i understood little about it, right now im confuse, frustrated, etc. right now i would like somebody to provide me with an answer to " does sqm qos know what/when to prioritized when it comes to torrents and ftps requests?" so that i dont have to spend another 30 to 1 hours doing a research, also i will appreciate if you tell what settings need to be change in order to accomplish what im trying to do. i will do a little more experiment with sqm, im gonna lower the upload rate, see if that make a different. thank you im advance

If you set upload/download speed as suggested and choose the right interface for your wan interface (ip4/ip6?) it should work (or not ;- ) . If not, deinstall luci-app-sqm & sqm-scripts and install luci-app-qos & qos-scripts and setup a dd-wrt like qos. If that also doesn't work out you are doomed ;- )

question? do i need to uninstall sqm and qos respectively or can i just disable it ? is no, well i already did my test and same issue, it does not make a difference torrents do not get slow down, i wish there was an option on sqm to prioritized ips, macs, services and ports. note: tried with 25000 for upload.

torrent client is running on same computer.