Need help with OPEN WRT wifi and internet

I'm extremely new to this please bare with me.

I am trying to get my wifi router to have access to the internet, currently my set up is this.

TP LINK ER605 with OPEN-WRT (Purely for Ethernet)

Netgear RV6400v2 (purely for wifi)

On my ethernet I have access to internet but when I try to use wifi there's no internet access at all.

I'll include images of what I have configured.

What port are you using on the Netgear?

I am connected to the WAN port on the Netgear.

If you are using Netgear firmware and you set in AP mode you need to plug into one of the lan ports.

I have dd-wrt on the netgear router. I also do not know what you mean by "you need to plug into one of the lan ports." Should I plug the ethernet cord to the WAN port on the ER605 and LAN on the Netgear? Or should I plug the ethernet cord from the LAN on the ER605 and WAN on the Netgear?

You can make the wan port a lan port if you know how or you just plug the ethernet from the OpenWrt router into a lan port.

I do not know dd-wrt, so if you do not know how to get the router/AP-only mode you need to ask them but, I'll bet if you plug from the tp-link to the lan of the Netgear it will just become a wireless switch/dumb AP...

If it does not work ask dd-wrt how to set it up.

You need to configure this router as a simple AP. The process is pretty straight forward in general, but I don't recall how to do it on DD-WRT.

On OpenWrt, the process is here (you can follow the same steps in general principle even though the details will be different on DD-WRT):

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap

Thank you this worked!

I turned it into a AP.

1 Like

Great!

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.
Thanks! :slight_smile: