Need help with model AWF-5g

I have a 4g router, that is running openwrt v1.2. The model is a AWF-5G. Need help find the right updated openwrt with the gui that it has now. I have look for the model in the list of routers and have not found it. Thanks for any and all help.

What brand is this router? And how come you have OpenWrt v1.2? The current version is 18.06 now!

The brand, not for sure of it. All it says on it is 4g router, as for why I have v1.2, that is what is loaded on it.

Could you send the System section you have in http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/ (or wherever you have the system section)

Here is what is under System's :openwrt1

Here is what is on the bottom of that screen: openwrt2

Doesn't the casing have indication of the brand?
Is it possibly the same one as this https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=69298
The old forum topic suggests that you can flash it with the firmware as ZBT-826. If you do that, please note that you would be risking bricking your router.

1 Like

No it's not the same router. But I think it is where he got it form (kuwifi) not for sure.

I think this is the router the I am working on. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VXZHRL4/ref=psdc_300189_t3_B07N1Z41R9?th=1
not for sure it is the correct one, will get the person who got it and ask me to make it work.

Can you get to a console on the device or otherwise get the boot log for the device?

I can hook my laptop up to it. where would I get the boot log from? Sorry this is my 1st time (trying to) using openwrt.

Hi, I need any Help to find or how to download an Specific Firmware for WE826-t2.
I need the OpenWrt AWF-5G V1.2 Powered by LuCI Trunk (svn-r10457) OpenWrt Barrier Breaker unknown.
Can someone help me where to find this version of openwrt? Or explain how to download a firmware from a router, because I have this version in one, and I could download it of the we826 t2 if it is possible...
I know that it isn't an updated version and it is old, but i need this version.
Thanks in Advance

Have you not solved this issue yet? Is the router not open source? Is it closed code? Why can't you update it, or download software then? is it a secure sim router? The software seems old. Where can i find more information on this? Do those ZBT close the code so it's not open and closed? If you can't download packages, etc. Does'nt anyone have more sources on this issue?

The AWF-5g is not supported by the OpenWrt project -- it is not listed in the Table of Hardware. Although it is always possible another open source project supports it, that would be out of scope here. Chances are you would need to ues the vendor's firmware, which is potentially closed source (although you are welcome to search the vendor's website or ask them for the code).

Hmm.. What? So when you say it's not supported.. What do you mean? It could be re-flashed and can run ope wrt open source correct? But some manufacturers use openwrt and then close the code? Is this common?
I mean thy could do whatever they like with that code if it's not open source then.. How do people unlock closed openwrt code?

I mean just what I said. There is no support for it by the OpenWrt project. And therefore, you cannot download a firmware image for that device from the OpenWrt downloads site.

No... at least, not easily (although it may not be possible at all). Maybe it could be done, assuming that the chips inside are already supported by OpenWrt... but even if that is the case, it would require a fair amount of development work to make it possible to run OpenWrt

From information earlier up-thread, it seems like they're using an ancient version (Barrier Breaker, 14.07) which is almost certainly very highly customized for their specific device. There is nothing wrong with this customization in principle, but they may or may not have additionally used closed-source firmware in their device (for things like wifi chips and the like) and they would not be at liberty to release that code to the public.

If there is nothing actually closed source (or more accurately, for all the parts that are not closed source), they are technically required to provide the source upon request, but it's quite hard to enforce this.

Also, understand that even if someone releases their customized source code, it doesn't mean the device will be supported by the official OpenWrt project (for a variety of reasons).

Thanks. So there is no way of knowing if the routers are safe or having backdoors then... hmm. ok

Well, you could buy one and test it with all of the known vulnerabilities that have come up since OpenWrt 14.07 was released (that would be almost a decade worth of potential CVEs). Also look at their firmware history -- when did they last update the firmware and what was the reason/content of the updates. If it's been a while, just assume it's not secure.

ok, well if theres a way to update them, is it easy to set up a sim card and a 4g interface, APN and everything? Are there any guides on that?

To be clear, if there are any available updates for this device, they are not provided by the official OpenWrt project. Therefore, they are also not supported by OpenWrt in any way. This forum doesn't support vendor firmware or other open source firmware projects.

Google is your friend.