NanoPI R6S with OpenWRT

Does this reset all your previous configurations from friendlywrt (firewall/DHCP) to default openwrt configs?

1 Like

I can’t recall if I did any config, but I think so

I also have on my hands an NanoPC T6 (RK3588) which I wanted to use for VPN traffic.
I was looking at the repository mj22226 but I see no releases for it.
Do you guys have any tips on how I use this repo to create my own image for the T6?
All I care about is getting the 2 network interfaces working with OpenVPN.

https://www.friendlyelec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=292

Just installed on my nanopi R6S, an image based on the linux kernel 6.5.9 from mj22226's github repository (https://github.com/mj22226/openwrt).
I chose to install and use it directly from an microSD card inserted on the R6S. Just created a bootable microSD, using the [Rockchip v6.5 Images 2023.10.26] image for the R6S, using Rufus.
I'm just using the R6S as a OpenWRT router to have SQM on a 1000/500 internet conection. It gets hot to the touch, but it is a little soon to report about long term stability using mj22226's linux kernel 6.5.9.
The good news is that the nanopi R6S can SQM a 1000/500 connection using cake with piece_of_cake.qos and get A+ on Waveform bufferbloat test. By setting the "Download speed (ingress)" to 945000 kbps and the "Upload speed (egress)" to 525000 kbps I get about 890/495 speeds on speedtest.net.
I wish there was an official image of OpenWRT for the nanopi R6S, but I'm quite happy with mj22226's efforts.

1 Like

Need to wait for official kernel support for RK3588, and it also needs time for OpenWrt official team to move on to kernel 6.x.

1 Like

1/ I used this (mj22226/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyelec_nanopi-r6s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz/kernel: bump 6.1 to 6.1.61), I couldn't extroot to use full 32GB eMMC with this link

2/ When I used friendlywrt official image, full overlay 28GB eMMC but I got slow upload speed (850Mb-900Mb download/ 100-350Mb upload), with this (mj22226/friendlyelec) I could easy to get full 800-900Mb download and upload)
Please guide me how to do. Thanks.

It's a bit of a search when you use newer hardware:

So @mj82 's builds come pretty loaded. Some stuff I use, others I do not. However after every update whatever is removed previously, comes back :face_with_raised_eyebrow: . I found that disabling services is a better way to go than removing packages.

After disabling services the state can be logged to a file:

service > /etc/config/services.txt

To restore them after an upgrade:

tail +2 /etc/config/services.txt | while read service startup status ; do $service ${startup%d}; done

then reboot and off you go :smile:

2 Likes

Do "settings" persist after an update? E.g your WAN/LAN settings, dnsmasq config, etc

Or does the 'update' act like a clean install?

Yes, but make sure you make a backup before.

I accidentally pushed a squashfs while using ext4 and that did not end well I'm afraid. So make sure you stick to one or the other. But switching between 6.1 , 6.5 , 6.6 , 6.7 did not cause me any trouble yet.

2 Likes

I would like to ask if anyone tried to build from @mj82 one? I want to use the 6.1 release however some missing packages (I want to use LXC) that's why I want to build one with it, but no matter how I try I get something like missing dependencies (below is one example)

Package kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra is missing dependencies for the following libraries:
nf_conncount.ko

I hope the following sequence is the correct?

git clone https://github.com/mj22226/openwrt
cd openwrt
git pull
git checkout rockchip-6.1
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
make

However I noticed that when I install the feeds, I following came up:

WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/telephony/freeswitch/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpcre', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/ksmbd-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-fs-ksmbd', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/kernel/linux/Makefile' has a dependency on 'prism54-firmware', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/kernel/linux/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-net-selftests', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/kernel/linux/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-mdio-bus-mux', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/kernel/linux/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-mdio-bus-mux', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-qrtr-smd', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-qrtr-mhi', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/nmap/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpcre', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/nmap/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpcre', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/snort3/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpcre', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/wavemon/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnl-cli', which does not exist
Installing all packages from feed packages.
WARNING: Not overriding core package 'pcre'; use -f to force
Installing all packages from feed luci.
Installing all packages from feed routing.
Installing all packages from feed telephony.

I am not very familiar with the operations so I am not sure what I've missed.

Why are you using the 6.1 release? 6.6 is the latest stable kernel, use that

6.1 gave me performance issues, 6.5 gave weekly reboots, but 6.6 has been solid

1 Like

I used the 6.8 branch from his repo and even after running

./scripts/feeds update -i -f
./scripts/feeds install -a -f   

I am only getting the following warnings

WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/boot/kexec-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblzma', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnetsnmp', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/policycoreutils/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist        

Because from GitHub it says 6.1 is the release but not for others....so 6.6 is great? So which one should I use in the list? With rockchip prefix there is only rockchip-6.2, or I should select linux-6.6-2024.01.01 ?

I am using the pre-built versions

Scroll down to 6.6

openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyelec_nanopi-r6s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz

I saw that one, however I have to build it myself because I wanted to use LXC on it but the prebuilt one doesn't include. BTW there is already kernel-6.8 version released already....

Finally I managed to build the kernel 6.6.9 for R6S without error.....however....the image doesn't seem to boot

Did you include the rockchip firmware in your build? CONFIG_PACKAGE_arm-trusted-firmware-rockchip=y in .config

Yes, I have this line in my config file, but when you say "include rockchip firmware", do I need to compile something else first?

BTW how many partitions should be on this SD image?

That's all I think.

I haven't used an SD card with the R6S, just sysupgrade to OpenWRT.

1 Like