NanoPi R6S & Linux 6.3 ARM SoC Updates

Power usage is already very good on this little machine. Getting 2-ish watts at idle, with our without frequency scaling and about 4 watts under gigabit load with SQM.

1 Like

Sorry for the utterly noob question, I've downloaded the nanopi R6c img file mj82 has posted on his github.

Used Rufus to pop it on to an SD card, but the pi doesn't post on my monitor. If I remove the card it'll boot to friendlywrt instantly. Am I missing something incredibly obvious?

On windows I use balena etcher, it decompress the image and flash it to the SD. https://etcher.balena.io/

Thanks I'll give it a shot later when I'm home.

It's odd the lan lightsl comes to life, I get keyboard lights and led1 is solid green. Its almost like it's booted but not outputting to a screen.

I’m pretty sure video out isn’t support by OpenWRT. Can you access the admin page through the web browser?

Also FriendlyWRT is installed on the eMMC of the Pi so it’ll boot by default with no SDCard.

It is afaict, I go in over SSH or the debug port using a terminal emulator.

So I think putty could be good approach as it does both and most people use windows. (I still find that amazing)

Utterly spot on, no display out and I just assumed it was a bad flash.

I assumed (wrongly) that Openwrt started in DHCP on the lan so when scanning my network I saw no new devices.

Shifted it over to the .1 subnet and I could see the device.
Thanks all for the advice, up and running now.

1 Like

@mj82

I am playing around a bit with your image, and its a lot of fun :smile:

So I installed Jellyfin/Emby where I came to the conclusion that there is not proprietary driver installed (duhh :crazy_face:). You would think this is not a problem for a router, and you would be correct. However when offering transcoding via Plex/Emby/JellyFin you will find that the device becomes pretty hot! (~ 70°C / 158° F ). It offers the possibility to select a transcoding device, so whenever this becomes available I will do a little dance.

That being said, I ran into a problem with installing disk encryption, it seems cryptsetup packages are still dependent on kernel 5.15 instead of the 6.4.2 it runs now. So there might be other packages where this kernel dependency shows up.

Last but not least:

I upgraded from the previous version to the latest from Jul8 and it went without any problems, which was awesome.

Thank you for all your work, you made me a very happy man.

1 Like

I posted this as a separate thread, but it was flagged as off-topic. But for the r6c its very relevant afaict. https://www.phoronix.com/news/Panthor-DRM-Newer-Mali

I will be waiting for mj82's builds when this is upstreamed :smile:

2 Likes

If transcoding is supported then it would be great!
I can plug those HDDs to my R6S.

The r6c has that nVME port, I still don't know if I did better by choosing it over the r6s :blush:
Time will tell I guess. So let us know how the external drives work out ok?