NanoPi R4SE emmc install

While there where some people asking on the NanoPi R4S thread about installing Openwrt onto the emmc I believe it make sense to open a new thread to avoid confusion.
I have openwrt running fine from the SD Card.
I tried to install the same version on the emmc via the friendlyelec webinterface but that seems not to boot.
Not sure if there need to be a patched uboot or other patches.
Anyone who already had success with it and has a imagebuilder recipe

3 Likes

I got myself an R4SE for Christmas and I've had no luck getting OpenWRT onto the eMMC yet. I found this build which has the uboot patches from FriendlyWRT in it but flashing it to the eMMC causes it not to boot.

I'd love to help get this working but I'm not really sure where to start! I think I'll need to get a UART adapter so I can get the boot messages.

Welcome to the OpenWrt community!

Note that the R4SE is not a supported device of OpenWrt like the R4S is. As far as I recall, only booting OpenWrt from an sd-card works on the SE units. I'm referring to the official OpenWrt images. Friendlyelec has modified custom builds that they provide.

It would be great if you could work on adding OpenWrt support for booting from the emmc.

I'm writing from memory so take the following as ideas for things to look into.
I think FrriendlyElec uses a different boot program with their images for emmc and booting with the OpenWrt standard boot program is only supported on the sd-card. You may want to look at how the boot code is set-up and see what might be done. Note that official OpenWrt is fairly strict about keeping to open source with non-restrictive licenses so that may be an issue in trying to add a different boot program. If an easy modification can be made to the SE so it can use the standard boot program that could work. I typed "boot program", which may be u-boot but It might also be another part of the boot chain. Sorry - I don't have time to research that now but there is more details on this forum, the OEM wiki and other places on the web.

Good luck!

Welcome to the OpenWrt community!

Thanks!

Note that the R4SE is not a supported device of OpenWrt like the R4S is. As far as I recall, only booting OpenWrt from an sd-card works on the SE units. I'm referring to the official OpenWrt images. Friendlyelec has modified custom builds that they provide.

Yea, I wasn't under the impression that it was already supported =] Just thought it was worth a shot in case it just worked as the only difference between the R4S (which is supported) and the R4SE is the onboard eMMC and an optional unique MAC address chip (which I don't have).

I think FrriendlyElec uses a different boot program with their images for emmc and booting with the OpenWrt standard boot program is only supported on the sd-card.

Yea I think they use the Rockchip MiniLoader for the FriendlyWRT images. I found this table in their docs which I inferred to mean that if the eMMC has an image flashed with u-boot then it should boot from the eMMC. I took this to mean that u-boot is supported, possibly with some modifications. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed that to be the case.

I have an R5S with DietPi running off of the eMMC so I might try and see if I can learn anything from their boot process!

Unfortunately my only boot process experience is via GRUB2 or systemd-boot which isn't really helpful here.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

2 Likes

Any recent updates/findings anyone?

Has anyone tested emmc SD card adaptor on R4S ?

https://www.friendlyelec.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=83&product_id=271

no luck then

Any news here?

Got my R4SE - running with FriendlyWRT on eMMC

But i Want OpenWRT.
One Problem is - i dont know how to Erase the eMMC... so it just boots FriendlyWRT over and over...

Shure i can Press the Button on the side and it boots OpenWRT vom SD but if i (soft) reboot voila FriendlyWRT... :crazy_face:

Sorry for my bad English.
Toco

You wipe the eMMC when you boot another FriendlyElec OS on SD card, then you can run your OS on SD card.

From what I know, no one ever tried to make any progress on eMMC inside R4S, so you have no way to use it.