NanoPi R4S-RK3399 is a great new OpenWrt device

what is the best method for restoring after an upgrade ?

I am using Klever1988 R4S slim builds every time I run the update command after reboot I have to reinstall packages etc

Does anyone have a cookbook for imagebuilder with the latest snapshot?

I was convinced to go get a r4s but the prices on these things is ridiculous lately and that's if you can find one in stock even. I nearly choked on my breakfast when I saw what these things are costing lately. The few who do have them in stock want crazy shipping costs and 2 month delivery dates.
Actually it seems like any kind of PI type device has gone up in price astronomically lately, like the pi 4b for example, out of stock nearly everywhere just like the r4s. The few that are available are crazy high cost and so is shipping again just like r4s.

Does anyone have a place to get an r4s+shipping at at a relatively normal price that doesn't take 2 months for delivery?
Id love to get one but not for $90-$150 plus $20-35 shipping.

2 Likes

Thats where i got mine back in march. I got the 4gb version with the metal shell.

There is also https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=284

if u in the usa. I have no idea on how good they are. I've ordered stuff from aliexpress a few times and seems to be alright. (pick a popular store and u seem to get stuff alright)

2 Likes

The best price I've seen on these was directly from FriendlyArm website, $82 plus $11 china post shipping to USA. 4GB model comes with the case but no power supply for that price. I ordered one ~18 days ago and it got to USPS yesterday (not bad at all, given the 30-45 days they warn it could take).

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=284

1 Like

Thanks but I ended up getting an 4gb pi 4b with case from pishop.us for $60 with $8 5 day shipping.

I bought the 4gb r4s and metal case. I bought my psu locally.

However they now do a more powerful pi4 psu (which would have been nice cos the pi4 wont power ssd and an external hdd. I bought a powered hub instead to solve that.)

1 Like

That Pi4 will be nowhere near the performance of the R4S. Pi's are great for plethora of purposes - homelab tinkering, education, experimenting with electronics, home automation, I've even set up a Pi400 for my grandma to replace her ancient PC (after some testing, everyone's happy - grandma can browse the internet, watch videos, video call her friends, nieces can still play their Flash games, and I taught both my dad and my uncle how to flash an SD card with the image I prepared with all her settings and apps).

But it doesn't do networking well. The onboard ethernet is okay for client use, the built in WiFi is weak and doesn't work well for AP mode, and adding a second ethernet is through USB, which puts you in an "unsupported" scenario, adding further points of possible failure. If you use it as a network-connected playground for OpenWrt, it's fine. But if you want to use it as, say, a gateway router, you'll run into a number of shortcomings. The R4S on the other hand practically works out of the box with the official OpenWrt images, has a stronger CPU, and, well... It's designed specifically for networking.

Although I guess you could make do with a single ethernet port for a gateway, using VLANs and a switch, but that would limit your effective throughput to 500Mbps.

3 Likes

I got my R4S 4Gb with metal case from amazon for $99. free prime shipping a few months ago. It was out of stock most places i looked and surprised amz had it

1 Like

Amazon was crazy overpriced for me. I got mine from AliExpress, seller had 10 day shipping to UK for free, and I paid £66 for it, including import duties and taxes. Arrived in 6 days. Meanwhile Amazon said delivery in 30-45 days, for the 1GB RAM version, priced at £148... Pretty certain it was dropshipping. Right now cheapest option is £89, plus £19 delivery, mid- to late November.

The chip shortage is still an ongoing issue, and the first victims are always the relatively low volume products as chip makers reserve their capacity for regular buyers with big orders. Almost all lesser known SBCs are struggling with stock availability.

1 Like

This is my purpose. I have a few ac1900 ap's for wifi. I just didn't want to spend nearly $100 or more and wait a 3 weeks to a month for delivery.
I would have gotten the r4s if someone had one at a more reasonable price to the usa with reasonable shipping at a reasonable delivery time. It does better serve my needs this is correct. But i'm cheap what can I say. My apologies if I screwed the thread up. I will bow out now and leave you gents to it.

As long as you use a rtl-8153 based USB adaptor, Pi4 works with openwrt like butter. Stay away from the asix adaptor crap and it works great. Nothing to worry about at all. Great for a gateway router, out of the box, without any VLAN needed.

1 Like

I'm using the last vanilla snapshot from https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/rockchip/armv8 and it works great but the reboot bug still exists, although there seems to be a fix? What is the problem here?

1 Like

Same here. I use vanilla snapshots too but I get custom images on https://asu.aparcar.org/ (this way I get it already with the packages that I need to work with 4G dongle and Atheros USB wireless). I think it has already been reported here as a bug on the card reader module or something like this. There's a patch but it's not merged into the snapshot. I'd appreciate it a lot so power surges will boot it but won't lock it.

https://github.com/anaelorlinski/OpenWrt-NanoPi-R2S-R4S-Builds < his builds have the reboot bug fixed.

They also use some updated network drivers.

I dont think OpenWRT has alot of the R4S patches added. Only way at present is to use snapshots which isnt ideal.

Reposted as it should not have been a direct reply.

Profiles in Snapshots currently read as

model NanoPi R4S
variant 4GB LPDDR4
vendor FriendlyARM

Does it mean there is currently no profile in the Snapshots that would boot on the 1 GB version?

I've built snapshots from this profile and they worked for 1GB model

Thanks for confirming, mine was not booting therefore thought it could have been the issue but then need to dig a bit further.

Didn't work for me, tested both squashfs and ext4. I have the 1GB model.

Edit: built from this repo with older u-boot with old u-boot patches and it works.

1 Like

I don't own a 1GB model so could not test it. Can you confirm it was working with a previous release like https://github.com/anaelorlinski/OpenWrt-NanoPi-R2S-R4S-Builds/releases/tag/r2s-21.02-2021.10.05 ?

1 Like