NanoPi R4S-RK3399 is a great new OpenWrt device

Im just happy that 250/250mbps with sqm is going through now :slight_smile: where rpi 3b+ only got to 150 with sqm off

Agreed on the RAM. Especially with the proposition of finally having a performant and stable OpenWrt device where you can install Docker and run containers. Unifi-controller is a big one for me since I have a U6-Lite (wifi6 ap).

Hello,

Apart from the official image, is there a clean overclocked CPU image somewhere or a correct CPU overclock patch.
It is an option if somewhere there is readable information on how to do it.
At the moment, the congratulations on the 1.4GHz and 1.8GHz cores are not enough for me.

If necessary, please write to me personally so that we do not spam the topic.

Regards,

So I guess the battery is for the clock? There was power outage today and came home to complaints that there was no internet. Using unbound dns over tls and apparently dns will stop working when time is not in sync. Any workaround for this?

edit: added to system/startup

date -s "2030-01-01 00:00:00"

working so far

Is anyone having issues getting recent builds from source to boot (no ping)? I'm making very minimal changes to the default seed config, just adding a few common packages and enabling btrfs ACLs. No warnings or errors during compilation. Images from the Image Builder work fine so maybe it's my environment (Fedora 37)?

I finshed a custom build feb 1st, OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r21965-6f89a0ca20, with mt76 usb drivers and userspace utils, but not btrfs, me too compile in Fedora 37, boots just fine.

Well I have to reboot once because the nic eth1 was missing, that happens rarely, and mostly after rewrite the sdcard, and the bug is with the eth0 missing but in my nanopi I swaped the interfaces eth0<->eth1 so I can login from the LAN.

other bug I sometimes I see is the nanopi unable to boot only red led is on, but that is more sporadic than the previous bug.

Gabrielo

R2S has RK3328, which was also being used on some Chrome OS devices.
Which means Google was also one of the parties driving the development of this processor, no matter it's 3328/3399/3568/3588, the RockChip manufacturer only released the major Android development core and pretty much that's it, all efforts go to board manufacturers (e.g.. Radxa, Orange Pi, FriendlyElec, etc...), they have to be the one "reinventing the wheel", as a result it could be very messy and difficult to have all features implemented properly in FOSS (example, RK3399 has a decent video core for decoding, but their FOSS H.264/H.265 implementation came out 6 years after the launch of CPU)

I hope the RK3588 has enough popularity to drive vendors to work harder on it (in fact Radxa is quite active on RK3588 development now) to provide better FOSS support.

FYI: I built a new snapshot based on master yesterday (2023-02-04). It is running rock solid with my standard configuration and packages.

I've also made a custom snapshot today, but I changed the root partition to 500Mb, just for curiosity and now I have 25% of the filesystem already filled. Before the / was 100Mb and I had 10% of it filled :thinking:

root@R4S:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 5.3M      5.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                     1.9G    180.0K      1.9G   0% /tmp
/dev/loop0              496.9M    125.8M    371.1M  25% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay      496.9M    125.8M    371.1M  25% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

Maybe before there was more space assigned to to tmpfs? I don't remember, just a curiosity.

PS: but the master branch is still on 5.10 kernel, I thought it was on 5.15, is there a fork with kernel 5.15 or I have to select it from menuconfig somewhere?

Oh another question, if I disable the CPU scaling frequency from the kernel, is the same as have it and force the perfomance mode?

Thanks

No, master is definitely on 5.15 (5.15.91 at the moment). See this commit, switch happened a while ago: https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=2b4f12e55bc5a492e86a29a0f46ce8dd1f9f3bdb

And why this is not for me?

OpenWrt 22.03-SNAPSHOT, r20054-3fd3d99e3a
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@R4S:~# uname -a
Linux R4S 5.10.165 #0 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 3 13:20:33 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Edit: my build options:

CONFIG_TARGET_rockchip=y
CONFIG_TARGET_rockchip_armv8=y
CONFIG_TARGET_rockchip_armv8_DEVICE_friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s=y
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_ARM_PMU=y
# CONFIG_KERNEL_BLK_DEV_THROTTLING is not set
CONFIG_KERNEL_PERF_EVENTS=y

Because you're using snapshot release?

Now I'm on the snapshot because I just built and flashed one, but few hours ago I was with 22.03.3 and it was on 5.10 (but now I'm not sure of this).

But usually the master releases have older kernel than the snapshot, I'm confused now :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well, I am not sure what you did, but maybe this clarifies a few things:

• What I meant with master, was building OpenWrt based on the very latest code in the github master branch ... if you did this yesterday, you should have ended up having kernel 5.15.91 and see OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r21995. This master should eventually become the next major release ... depending on when it happens 23.x or 24.x.
  • To be honest, I would expect snapshot (if you download it here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/rockchip/armv8/) being very close to this state ... I see r21996 in version.buildinfo.
  • The 22.03 release and its git branch are still on 5.10.x and will remain there. As said, not sure how you build, but if you stay on the openwrt-22.03 git branch, I would expect you ending up with 5.10.x, but having incorporated some bugfixes / backports for the next 22.03.4 release.

Oh I've made a mess, to clarify things:

Yesterday I built from the 22.03.3 branch, not the master, my mistake, indeed the master has the k5.15 (see the error)

What made my thought that I compiled a snapshot build is indeed the SNAPSHOT word in the title, but is a 22.03.4 SNAPSHOT,

If I was running a SNAPSHOT from the master branch I should have only the SNAPSHOT name, without the branch number. Indeed on my other routers I'm building from master because there isn't the stable/22.03 and the title is different, I've never noticed this...

A snapshot from the stable branch:

OpenWrt 22.03-SNAPSHOT, r20054-3fd3d99e3a
root@R4S:~#

A snapshot from the master branch:

OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r21967-097e9bf9d8
root@WAX206:~#

Because usually I use "online image builder" to get the stable releases, and there isn't the SNAPSHOT word in the stable branch if you grab it from the online image builder.

Hi,

I'm planning to rebuild soon. By default, I use to choose something stable (so 22.03.x branch) unless I've got a good reason to choose something less stable but more recent.

What would be the added value (specifically for the nanopi r4s) compared to the 22.03.x branch (kernel 5.10)

• with the upstream developments (master branch, kernel 5.15)
  • with to the 22.03.x + anaelorlinski customizations ?

Thanks in advance.

Well, master/snapshot vs. release is a more philosophical discussion, not sure if this thread is the proper place to discuss it intensively. I choose master for the following reasons:

• Curiosity to try the very latest version
  • Support the developers in actually finding bugs / instabilities in master (with not only quickly booting from it, but using it in real life)
  • I thought it might add value to (some) R4S users if I post my experience with master/snapshot builds

Generally I find it somehow a misperception to think that master snapshots are always unstable or less stable. Of course, they can be, but honestly in general they work pretty good, particularly after major changes settled a bit (like the switch to nftables).

Nevertheless, I would only recommend playing around with them if you are a more advanced user and aware that something could go wrong. To me, in case of the R4S the hurdle to try master/snapshot is pretty low, since you do not have to flash a router (and actually risk to brick it), but merely insert a SD card. If you own a second SD card, you can simply insert the "stable" one and everything works again within 5 seconds.

Using snapshot, you may get errors when installing packages that require a specific version of the kernel.

1 Like

My issue was becase also the master release (I mean 22.03) is marked as snapshot if you build it yourself, we should user master and stable (or 22.03) branch.

I agree, it's a personal preference. I do not want to discuss about such 'personal preference', rather looking for a list of (objective) features/components present in anaelorlinski/master 5.15, which are not in 22.03.3.

Namely,

• what are the differences between kernel 5.10 and 5.15 ?

• what are the new features between 22.03 and master/upstream openwrt version ?