NanoPi R4S-RK3399 is a great new OpenWrt device

I heard capacitors don't like heat. Once the capacitor dries out it's done for. :handshake:

Well not sure where the is a capacitor that can dry out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It looks like that is true for liquid electrolyte capacitors but the surface mount capacitors or those intergrated in the chips on the R4S are of a different type, probably ceramic or other solid electrolyte with long term operating temperatures at or above 85°C.

1 Like

Looking at the schematic for the R4S 4GB board, there are hundreds of capacitors in the circuits but not the type "that can dry out". I suspect many of the tiny rectangular surface mount devices in the picture are capacitors and there are many more on the bottom of the board. They are not the old can style from old high power analog circuits and not likely to be the fluid electrolyte type prone to drying out.

1 Like

Despite checking the box to keep configuration, I notice I lose my configuration on R2S and R4S after flashing a snapshot squashfs sysupgrade firmware, with additional packages included, and generated by the firmware selector. At first I attributed this to the recent kernel 5.15 change, but it's happened again upgrading from one 5.15 snapshot to another.

Not a big problem - that's what backups and "cut-paste" to config files are for. Still, a bit of a hassle.

Is this expected behavior?

That's good to hear that there are no wet caps on there :blush:. I guess let it heat up

1 Like

What an excellent video tutorial! It doesn't resolve my question, but it's nonetheless a great link and a very clear explanation for those not already familiar with the information.

Do I infer that you've recently flashed squashfs snapshot sysupgrade images generated with the firmware selector, selected the option to retain configuration, and your network, dhcp and firewall files were not replaced with the default configuration anyway?

I can never rule out careless mistakes or my own stupidity - I've plenty of both. But it's happened to me twice now. On my NanoPi's, network configuration is not retained when I expect it to be. It is retained on other devices when I expect it to be retained.

I did and configuration was kept after it

Looks like I need to look harder in this area then. Thank you for confirming it works for you.

I just did snapshot squashfs firmware selector upgrades with custom packages added on an ER-X and two RAC2V1K's and everything worked as expected. Repeated process again on my R4S and...nope...once again, configuration reverted to default. Very frustrating, but I'll shake something loose eventually.

Looking to purchase a 1GB model. Preferably from Europe to avoid import taxes, with or without a case, new or used as long as it works, this is to test and fix my generated builds on 1Gb models.

FYI I tried to ordered here https://www.ebay.com/itm/314000006183 but received a 4Gb one..... however this is a good deal if you look for this device!

PM me if you want to buy from me :wink:

1 Like

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=18f77ef2d6ee2d3b28f686cbbfff2d7b8c37fb7e - rockchip: Ensure the MAC address for all NanoPi R4S boards is assigned unique for each board.

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=fff797d26e758c596f6602ded82e81746d8f1aa4 - rockchip: add system-LED aliases specific to OpenWrt

Here is a new build of the 22.03.1 release:

• 2.0Ghz / 1.6Ghz overclock (in between stock 1.8 / 1.4 and ImmortalWrt 2.2 / 1.8)
  • 512MB root
  • Reverted patch that keeps SD card at low speed to fix reboot (I'm running docker from the SD card)
  • Used the older patch that fixes reboot and allows full speed on SD card (but reboot after a kernel panic will not work)
  • r8168 driver
  • legacy firewall3 / iptables (for banip support)
  • curl
  • nano
  • block-mount
  • shadow-utils
  • dnscrypt-proxy2
  • luci-app-adblock
  • luci-app-banip
  • luci-app-ddns
  • luci-app-dockerman
  • luci-app-minidlna
  • luci-app-sqm
  • luci-app-wireguard
  • luci-app-ksmbd
  • docker-compose
  • docker with ext4 support
  • kmod-fs-ext4
  • kmod-fs-ksmbd

(4GB model only) squashfs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uJYBlRxVtqOjMsZbBzJIu1HtpROEkiP2/view?usp=sharing

(4GB model only) ext4:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QqCNLcJ5Guz7d0x84otfnu93Rc3FZwrA/view?usp=sharing

This build has the same config / patches / packages / root size as before, so anyone using one of my previous builds should be able to flash this directly from the web interface. Otherwise if you are switching from a different build, you will need to do a config backup, flash this to a clean SD card and then restore the backed-up config.

7 Likes

Hi,
I have the same problem with loosing configuration (R4S device).
The following sysupgrade was performed with latest imagebuilder generated build:

# sysupgrade -v /tmp/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-ext4-sysupgrade.img

I noticed this problem with images prepared after 2022-10-04.
Do you have some similar experiences?

Yes - that has been my experience.

You missed -c option

Hi,
Thanks for the hint!
I am getting the following error:

root@np1:~# sysupgrade -c -v /tmp/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-ext4-sysupgrade.img
Cannot find '/overlay/upper/etc', required for '-c'
root@np1:~#
root@np1:~# sysupgrade -c -v /tmp/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img
Cannot find '/overlay/upper/etc', required for '-c'
root@np1:~# find /overlay/
/overlay/
root@np1:~# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root              1030828     91592    922852   9% /
tmpfs                  1983988   1150944    833044  58% /tmp
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev

I am not sure why /overlay is empty in my case.

I did prepare SD card a few days ago, with following commands:

$ wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/rockchip/armv8/openwrt-imagebuilder-rockchip-armv8.Linux-x86_64.tar.xz
$ tar -Jxf openwrt-imagebuilder-rockchip-armv8.Linux-x86_64.tar.xz
$ cd openwrt-imagebuilder-rockchip-armv8.Linux-x86_64/
$ sed -i "s/CONFIG_TARGET_ROOTFS_PARTSIZE=.*/CONFIG_TARGET_ROOTFS_PARTSIZE=1024/g" .config
$ make image PROFILE=friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s PACKAGES="\
6in4 adblock block-mount bridge bzip2 comgt curl ddns-scripts-cloudflare ddns-scripts-freedns ddns-scripts-noip \
dnscrypt-proxy2 dmesg dropbear e2fsprogs gzip htop ifstat iperf3 ip-bridge ip-full \
kmod-fs-autofs4 kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-msdos kmod-fs-ntfs kmod-tun kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb2 kmod-usb3 \
lm-sensors ncat nmap nping less liblzo2 \
luci luci-ssl luci-app-adblock luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-bcp38 luci-app-ddns luci-app-openvpn luci-app-sqm luci-app-statistics luci-app-vnstat2 \
mkf2fs mailsend netdata netperf ntfs-3g openvpn-openssl openssl-util sqm-scripts sqm-scripts-extra \
tcpdump transmission-cli transmission-daemon transmission-remote unrar unzip vim vnstat2 wget-ssl xz-utils"
$ cd bin/targets/rockchip/armv8/
$ gzip -d openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-ext4-sysupgrade.img.gz
$ sudo dd if=openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-ext4-sysupgrade.img of=/dev/sdc bs=32M

Do you have a similar experience?
Am I doing something wrong?

ext4 image doesn't have overlay partition that mean ext4 not support reset configuration to default, cannot cross upgrade from ext4 to squashfs. you need reflash sdcard with squashfs image.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks @leendy for the tip.
It's still not working for me - I lose configuration after I re-flash.
Here is what I did - tried it now with just the squashfs image.

a) build image:

$ wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/rockchip/armv8/openwrt-imagebuilder-rockchip-armv8.Linux-x86_64.tar.xz
$ tar -Jxf openwrt-imagebuilder-rockchip-armv8.Linux-x86_64.tar.xz
$ cd openwrt-imagebuilder-rockchip-armv8.Linux-x86_64/
$ sed -i "s/CONFIG_TARGET_ROOTFS_PARTSIZE=.*/CONFIG_TARGET_ROOTFS_PARTSIZE=1024/g" .config
$ make image PROFILE=friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s PACKAGES="\
6in4 adblock block-mount bridge bzip2 comgt curl ddns-scripts-cloudflare ddns-scripts-freedns ddns-scripts-noip \
dnscrypt-proxy2 dmesg dropbear e2fsprogs gzip htop ifstat iperf3 ip-bridge ip-full \
kmod-fs-autofs4 kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-msdos kmod-fs-ntfs kmod-tun kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb2 kmod-usb3 \
lm-sensors ncat nmap nping less liblzo2 \
luci luci-ssl luci-app-adblock luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-bcp38 luci-app-ddns luci-app-openvpn luci-app-sqm luci-app-statistics luci-app-vnstat2 \
mkf2fs mailsend netdata netperf ntfs-3g openvpn-openssl openssl-util sqm-scripts sqm-scripts-extra \
tcpdump transmission-cli transmission-daemon transmission-remote unrar unzip vim vnstat2 wget-ssl xz-utils"

b) flash SD card:

$ cd bin/targets/rockchip/armv8
$ gzip -d if=openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz
$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=8192 count=10 status=progress
$ sudo dd if=openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img of=/dev/sdc bs=32M status=progress

c) transfer image to Nano PI:

$ scp -O bin/targets/rockchip/armv8/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz root@192.168.1.1:/tmp

d) reflash (upgrade) NanoPI:

root@np1:~# cd /tmp && gzip -d openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz
root@np1:~# sysupgrade -c -v /tmp/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img

Am I doing something wrong?