NanoPi R4S-RK3399 is a great new OpenWrt device

I installed an official build IPv6 works out off the box. But I am not an expert with all the opkg packages etc. So I installed friendlywrt and IPv6 also works there no freezes etc when downloading.
I see no differences in the settings in the build of @anaelorlinski exept for a dual-stack lite interface. With the official build and friendlywrt there is no dual-stack lite interface and with anaelorlinski build the interface is added. And that is where the knowledge comes to an end here​:smile::smile: I am glad there are people that build a precompiled openwrt because I can't haha. So for now I am going to stick to friendlywrt.

Now with an official release candidate out you could consider trying it. Using opkg is extremely straightforward. Just SSH into your R4S and use opkg update and opkg install as described in the example section of the wiki (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/opkg).

This way you can install whatever you want without getting packages installed you do not need at all (and might break something).

Creating a custom build is not really necessarily, unless you need to patch code, change kernel configuration, …

Might try the stable build :slight_smile: But the opkg thing is that it is to much work to install all the packages i want use. Because with every update I have to do this again. The approach I now have is that I install a build with everything I use and delete something's I don't. Then install the backup and I am done . I have a R2C plus for experimenting as my whole family depends on the R4S :slight_smile:

I'm also going to wait for a stable release, too much in stake :grin:

Haha, I know what you mean, that’s why I bought a second one to play around.

The release candidate is running stable on the R4S. There might of course be some minor issues, but we should not imply that it is not stable … otherwise it would not be a candidate to actually release.

1 Like

I have switched to the stable rc1 :smile: I couldn't resist.
I had a choice either run a daily changing snapshot or a the stable rc1.
The latest friendlywrt I was running at the moment gave me to much problems with opkg and kernel incompatiblys.

2 Likes

How did you migrate the exisiting iptables rules into the new nftables format?

To be honest just installed the stable rc1 because I had issues with IPv6 with another build.
Started from scratch so didn't do anything with converting ip-tables to nf-tables.

I installed the latest Friendlywrt image rk3399-sd-friendlywrt-5.15-20220420 and the download speed dropped from 940 to 480. What could it be?

Mmmhhh, yet there are some services that do not support nftables, e.g. banip ...

1 Like

Cause the cpu affinity in the last builds of friendlywrt is bad, its mainly using two a53 cores by default while every other build of openwrt for the R4S uses the two A72 cores by default.

Install htop, and you will easily be able to see what i mean.

There 3 ways of fixing this:

1 - Fix the cpu affinity manually which provides the best results.
2 - Fix the cpu affinity the automatic way, by using packet steering + irqbalance package.
3 - Going into /etc/hotplug.d/net and change the file 40-net-smp-affinity, so the cpu affinity will be like in the other openwrt builds, in other words, everything goes to the a72 cores.

3 Likes

Thanks Master :v:

Excuse the beginner question: How do I update Anaelorlinski firmware and not lose apk and settings? (ext4 image)

hey should I install the latest snapshot or the stable version and where can i find the stabel version ?
Is this the right website ?:

I've been running a recent snapshot for 7 days on my main gateway router. Nothing too complicated: CAKE SQM, Adblock, VLANs. Still, it has been running great. No complaints.

I'd start with:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/rockchip/armv8/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s-ext4-sysupgrade.img.gz

3 Likes

Get on an OpenWrt build, snapshot, RC.
Use the online image builder to create the image with the packages you want.
Add this and you will never again lose your packages during an upgrade/update.
I've been doing this for months now and it works perfectly.
Once we have an official release, really no reason to worry about not being able to install a package. But until then, this is the best way I've found.

Attended Sysupgrade

The attended sysupgrade service allows to easily upgrade vanilla and custom firmware images.

This is done by building a new firmware on demand via an online service.

Thanks for pointing out did not know there is a online image builder :smiley: just build my first image with the packages I use.
I have one other question if am running a version is it possible to upgrade to a later version.
Just by flashing the new build over the existing one?
What I do now is completely flash new SD card and then install all the packages and load my generated backup to get all of the settings as I had.

Ahum reading is not my strongest point I see you explained this :sweat::sweat:
So when I build the image I can flash it an upgrade?

You have many forks or versions for your NanoPi R4S. This is one of them (immortalwrt). If you want to try official OpenWrt go to this webside: https://asu.aparcar.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=rockchip%2Farmv8&id=friendlyarm_nanopi-r4s
There still isn't a stable version out yet, we will get it with 22.03. You have 3 latest versions now (snapshot, which is nightly, snapshot 22.03, and future stable release 22.03.0 RC1-release candidate 1). I'm currently on snapshot 22.03 with firewall (not firewall4) and its running just fine.

1 Like

so lets say i want to install the snapshot how do i do that ?

Download the Openwrt firmware and install it via Rufus on the micro sd ?
Can i then acces the r4s over my browser and just enable sqm ?

Yes, download one of the 3 latest versions, you can use rufus or balena etcher or similar to extract the firmware to micro SD card, insert the card to your NanoPi and open the browser, 192.168.1.1. If you enable sqm or not that's completely dependant on your needs.

1 Like