NanoPi R4S : Looking for safe method of Public/WAN share

The R4S does inc 2x USB.

Is it safe & possible to share content to WAN via USB based storage?
.... Some sort of demilitarised zone stuff?

I dunno what is possible w OpenWrt.

The firmware running on my NanoPi box is...
OpenWrt 23.05.0 r23497-6637af95aa / LuCI openwrt-23.05 branch git-23.236.53405-fc638c8

I do have a QNAP NAS on LAN. I know NAS is NOT a safe way to do de-militarised zone stuff, or port forwarding with.

In the end, I want to find a way of providing both private VPN based access to my LAN resources, & a cordoned off Public De-Mil zone type of corner, on a sep machine if necessary.

My background is with port forwarding.... If I understand correctly, thats dead these days, due to methods of hacking forwarding?

Who needs to be able to access the content you wish to share? You? Family/friends? or the world at large?

1 Like

For now, friends & family.

The thing is, I would prefer a vpn approach, but that requires on-boarding each person/device onto the VPN. I don't yet have OpenWrt setup for VPN access. That's also pending.

Having a public de-mil share is a more practical approach for ad-hoc/short term access.

I currently use regular on-line drive space for ad-hoc sharing.

I want to see if its feasible to implement own-hosting of publicly avail content, since I have infrastructure anyway. If its too advanced a project, I'll delay a public share project, continue uploading to commercial drive space for now.

It used to be much easier to do, LOL!