NanoPi R4S 1Gb & WiFi USB dongles

Hello OpenWrt community!

I am working with NanoPi router devices. I am currently working with R2S with very good performance but I adquired a R4S because I want integrate proxy e2guardian and WiFi into same device.

Now, I am facing with different issues:

• Current OpenWrt Snapshot release doesn't boot with my R4S 1Gb device. It looks like it is new uboot from 2021 July because I was able to boot with previous versions. This is error I get with newest release:

U-Boot TPL 2021.07 (Aug 16 2021 - 19:37:33) sdram_init: LPDDR4 - 50MHz failed! rk3399_dmc_init DRAM init failed -22 Missing DTB

• Other issue is related with my WiFi dongles. This is lsusb output (filtered):

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0bda:c811 Realtek 802.11ac NIC
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek USB3.0 802.11ac 1200M Adapter

Both should work with 80211 lib but when I try to install it I get this error msg:

Details for package kmod-lib80211

Version: 5.4.142+5.10.42-1-1
Size: ~12.3 KB installed
Dependencies:
    kernel Version incompatible
    kmod-cfg80211 Installed
        iw Installed | iw-full Not installed
            libnl-tiny1 Installed
        wireless-regdb Installed
    kmod-crypto-hash Installed
    kmod-crypto-ccm Installed
        kmod-crypto-ctr Installed
            kmod-crypto-manager Installed
                kmod-crypto-aead Installed
                    kmod-crypto-null Installed
                kmod-crypto-pcompress Installed
            kmod-crypto-seqiv Installed
                kmod-crypto-rng Installed
                    kmod-crypto-hmac Installed
                    kmod-crypto-sha256 Installed

Description

Kernel modules for 802.11 Networking stack Includes: - lib80211 - lib80211_crypt_wep - lib80211_crypt_tkip - lib80211_crytp_ccmp

The installed version of package kernel is not compatible, require 5.4.142-1-fb881fbb… while 5.4.128-1-601e67f5… is installed.

Overwrite files from other package(s)

• And finnally, I am not able to find e2guardian proxy package. I don't understand why because I can install it with FriendlyWrt (from hw website), so there is a package for this arquitecture, but it isn't in openwrt repositories...

I know I' m asking a lot :blush:

Thanks in advance if you can help me in any point.

Best regards, XF.-

Just don't.
Get a cheap concurrent dual-band router to use in AP mode - it'll be cheaper, faster and more reliable.

1 Like

sir how can i use USB ethernet adapter on nano pi r4s ?

Insert it into a port, find out which chip it uses, install the required packages ?

This works and the USB ethernet adapter shows up as expected as a new linux eth interface (eth2 in my case). However,

• if I reboot (using busybox'es /sbin/reboot) then the USB ethernet adapter doesn't get detected and there is no eth2 after reboot. the correct r8152 kmod is loaded though. I also tried usbreset from the usbutils package and it doesn't report any error but also it doesn't help in any way.
  • if I poweroff (using busybox'es /sbin/poweroff) and power cycle from the PSU then the USB ethernet adapter gets detected ok at boot time.

Is there any trick to make it also appear after a reboot without having to unplug and re-plug it? I'm asking because I'd like to use it as the (single) device for the WAN interface, and I can't afford to be cut off from the net after a reboot

Cheers!