NanoPI R2S is a great OpenWrt device

I noticed a strange thing, the green led on the WAN port (link led) is not always on but blinking. However, the link between router and R2S seems stable. Is this a simple led activation problem or is this a USB 3 to Gigabit driver stability problem?

Immagine

Cheers zWolf

It usually means data is being sent or received on the port. It's entirely normal.

Hey friends. Thank you for getting OpenWRT on this device.

I could use some help making it boot. I downloaded the latest images, dd'd them on my sdcard, but they refuse to boot. The sys light never starts flashing, the network lights don't turn on.

Things I've tried:

• Flashed both ext4 and squashfs versions
  • Tried jayanta525's build
  • Tried flashing the image with etcher instead of dd
  • Checked that the SD card actually has partitions and files.
  • Flashed FriendlyWRT on the same card and it works fine (I'm posting this "through" it, actually)

Help?

Hi fxxr,

I just tried using https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/rockchip/armv8/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r2s-ext4-sysupgrade.img.gz from December 2nd and etcher for mac to burn to SD card.

I don't get flashing SYS light but I do get a DHCP address and can connect to 192.168.1.1 over SSH (not HTTP).

SYS and LAN are solid for me.

Try this image

1 Like

Hi, someone has tried USB2LCD module with lcd4linux packages to show some information (IP, CPU...) on lcd?

zWolf

Ran a snapshot build as my main router for a few weeks. First stint, after a few days, it wouldn’t come back up after a reboot, which I attributed to an old and possibly dying microSD card, but that’s just my guess. Second time ran fine for two weeks or so, and then one night DNS stopped working. Reboot didn’t solve issue, and other household members needed the internet, so I swapped back in my old Archer C7. I’ll probably wait until this is in a stable release before jumping back in, as diagnosing and fixing the issue is above my capabilities. When it was working, it was a great little device

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I still have the two I bought waiting on my desk weighing if it's worth the trouble at this stage as people seem to have mixed experiences. Two week uptime would definitely not be reliable enough for my planned purpose. :frowning:. Theoretically I might have one of them unattended for several months during the winter.

Is this particular build by any chance proven to run somewhat stable (compared to just flashing the latest snapshot)?

@edwrap @ristomatti Mine R2S is up to 120 days or so without needing a reboot.

1 Like

@xiaobo With the image you linked? That sounds more like it! Hmm but if it is an earlier snapshot, how could I install additional packages? Primarily I'll be needing WireGuard but might also come up with other uses.

@ristomatti Here are some commonly used packages (and WireGuard) that hope will help you.
R2S images and packages all in one

2 Likes

Hello,

I'm running openwrt on the box for weeks without any issues. The box did reboot only because i had electricity problem and it happened 3 times.

For now, the box is up for 38days.

Thanks! I'm getting more optimistic about this :slightly_smiling_face:. I haven't yet had time to check the image xiabo linked but just to have options - did you use a snapshot build or perhaps the one shared by xiabo? If snapshot, how recent was it?

Hi,

the one from @jayanta525.

Ced

1 Like

I am not using snapshot, just the friendlyarm version. I was waiting for 19.07.5 but that doesn't have new targets. I will probably move to snapshot soon.

Any downsides to using your version? Also, have you iperf'd it? I'd also be interested in power draw of your version...thanks!

Had some time to debug my DNS issue, as I encountered it again with a fresh snapshot install. The https-dns-proxy package doesn't seem to work anymore unless a DNS server is set for WAN, whereas before it worked without one. Strange, as I don't remember fiddling with the device before it broke last time, but I could be mistaken. DNS-over-HTTPS is working now, so I'm just going to chalk this one up to snapshot quicks and nothing specific to the R2S

The only minor issue I’ve come across is that changing the wan MAC address in luci doesn’t do anything, as the real MAC is specified by wan_dev and not wan in /etc/config/network. I remember this being the case for a previous device and it was eventually fixed, I think

Hello,

I successfully migrated from FriendlyWRT to OpenWRT (latest snapshot build). I managed to get everything working except for IPTV stream from my ISP provider using udpxy for multicast - unicast conversion. The multicast stream works flawlessly, but after installing udpxy and reformating the playlist (http://192.168.1.1:4022/udp/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5000) the stream does not appear on my computer. The settings in udpxy are default (and the same that I had when using FriendlyWRT). Could there be some firewall isues? Any ideas what rules could I add to firewall? Or should I look somewhere else for a culprit?

2 Likes

I solved the issue by adding the following to the /etc/config/firewall:

config rule
option target 'ACCEPT'
option src 'wan'
option proto 'udp'
option name 'iptv'
option family 'ipv4'
option dest_port '5000'

2 Likes