NanoPi_R1S-H5 - Can anyone get into this device?

Ok, I'll try that next. Maybe I can do it from one of my openwrt routers.
Yes, I do have a serial to USB cable connected but there is never any output to terminal otherwise, I'd have some leads by now.

Sorry for how long to takes a reply. Been crazy busy with work.

All done, still nothing but I've only tried the LAN port since the WAN port never seems to be enabled. Meaning, on all three units so far, all have very dim WAN LED lights unlike the LAN port which definitely is working because I can see the LED reacting to the nmap scan.

Does anyone know if this image has a static IP or using DHCP? It didn't pick up an IP.

Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopineo2black_buster_current_5.8.5.img

Holy crap!
Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopineo2black_focal_current_5.8.5.img

The LAN port just showed up with 192.168.8.144. If the computer had not had a 255.255.0.0. mask, I would never have found that.

The scan however shows all ports as Unknown. Not one is open.

run armbian-config to setup the networking
and install ssh server as you would do it on debian.
remember, the dhcp server is not installed /enabled by default, since the image is for server scenario.

How, no ports are open. I assume you mean by using the serial cable. I'll give that a try.

The DHCP server is on the laptop I've got the device connected to. It's how I test these things without putting them on my network.

Update: I've tried all of the common serial baud rates and get nothing but [00] over and over.
I was sure I read somewhere that it's 115200, 8N1.
Oh, and the IP changed which is weird since it's not reaching the DHCP server so, it's built in maybe?

Yes, over serial cable. For baud rates better check the armbian documentation.

Connect Tx with Rx and vice versa, ground to ground, VCC is not needed.

Dang, this is frustrating. I cannot get anything out of the serial port. I cannot confirm what serial settings are pre-built into the image and cannot get anything out of it no matter what settings I use.

Worse, now I cannot get an IP from the device anymore. I'll try again, this time with the USB/serial cable disconnected.

Well, more odd times for me I guess. Since trying the serial port, no matter how many times I reboot it, it no longer has an IP. I changed nothing what so ever, only added the serial port and now it is disconnected.

My guess is, that your device is not booting the right way. I would start with fresh image a dedicated router and serial connected. If you cannot get in with ssh, then you should be able to get in via serial tty. The serial tty shows a boot process and where it hangs, that provides information to troubleshoot. Otherwise we are shooting in the dark.

I was able to see the interface go up once and that's it. When it did, there were no open ports what so ever, not 80, 443, not 22 or 23. I've rebooted it using the same image countless times with no change, the network simply doesn't come up anymore.

I've also been trying to get serial access but nothing ever shows up. No matter the baud rate or settings all I get are some chars on the terminal. (See next post for images)
So, no TCP ports and never anything on the serial port so far.

Really odd as I had hopes for this device.

photo_2020-10-25_16-52-08

I don't know, maybe uploading some images might help. You can see the dimply lit LED on the WAN port. This is lit up dimly like this at all times, with something connected or not. All three that I've tried so far have done this.

The serial should have shown something. BTW: Can you plug the WAN as well?

Hi, yes, I've tried the WAN port as well but it never seems to be active no matter what image I use.
Just to be 100% sure, connectors are RX to TX, TX to RX and ground to ground.

You're using an incompatible sd card.

Not that I know of. I'm using a 64GB version of the ultra card that is suggested in the wiki. Do you think the device cannot read a 64GB card? I also have a 16GB card that I've been using to test.

61h7zFbXLNL.AC_SX569

For TTL, I'm trying different things and settled on 115200, 8N1. Never anything but control chars.
What is going on that three units to test and I cannot get even one to show anything while everyone else is able to use this?

It's not like I'm new to this stuff, this should been super easy.

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 1500000 8N1

Just to be sure, this is how I'm creating the boot SD

sudo dd if=Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopineo2black_focal_current_5.8.5.img of=/dev/sdc1

I've tried this on 4 different, supposedly compatible SD cards and this device has yet to boot. Does this image write a boot sector? Maybe I'm missing a boot function?

So confusing that nothing works and this is the third one I bought. I've tried a bunch of versions now. Only the LAN port lights up bright, the WAN port never works.

What is missing?

Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopineo2black_buster_current_5.8.5.img
Armbian_20.08.1_Nanopineo2black_focal_current_5.8.5.img
nanopi-neo2-black_sd_friendlycore-xenial_4.14_arm64_20191219.img
nanopi-r1s-h5_sd_friendlycore-xenial_4.14_arm64_20191219.img
nanopi-r1s-h5_sd_friendlywrt_4.14_arm64_20191230.img

sudo dd if=nanopi-r1s-h5_sd_friendlywrt_4.14_arm64_20191230.img of=/dev/sdc1

It came up once and only once with an IP.

I'm finally getting a reply. I ordered specifically and hard to find, the 8GB card that is suggested.

The device seems to be coming up with 192.168.0.106 on the LAN port but a scan shows that all ports are in an unknown state. And, I cannot get any to respond so the state I assume is closed.

I also ordered a new USB to serial cable so will try that next. However, I'm nervous about restarting the device since the last time I did that, it took until now to get it to respond on any IP.

Update: Nope, it's something else responding on the laptop to 192.168.0.106.

Nothing on the serial port either. RX-RX, TX-TX, GN-GN. No output, not even control chars.

Always stumped with this one.