Nanopi Neo WAN interface not working

Hi,
I have a D-link 2730U modem-router which is not supported by OpenWrt so I installed it on a Nanopi Neo h3. I deleted my internet connection on D-link and created a bridge on it instead. You can see it here:
Screenshot_20200331_211803
And configured Nanopi like this:

network.loopback=interface
network.loopback.ifname='lo'
network.loopback.proto='static'
network.loopback.ipaddr='127.0.0.1'
network.loopback.netmask='255.0.0.0'
network.lan=interface
network.lan.ifname='eth0'
network.lan.proto='static'
network.lan.netmask='255.255.255.0'
network.lan.ip6assign='60'
network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.1.111'
network.lan.type='bridge'
network.wan=interface
network.wan.proto='pppoe'
network.wan.password=***
network.wan.ipv6='auto'
network.wan.username=***
network.wan.ifname='br-lan'

Nanopi with its only ethernet interface is connected to D-link. As you can see, the problem is, WAN always returns some errors. The first one is Unknown error (USER_REQUEST). The others are Unknown error (AUTH_TOPEER_FAILED) and Unknown error (NEGOTIATION_FAILED).
I'm new to this and I don't know what to do. Also, I'm not even sure about my configurations and I have no idea how to test it! The question is what should I do now? How can it be done?

Are you sure about this?

2 Likes

not really! But I also tried "eth0", and result is the same.

I am not sure you can have WAN and LAN on the same interface, or how to make it work without VLANs.

I would review the configuration on the modem/router, including how it connects with the server. On the router, I would also see a complete log on the connection attempts.

2 Likes

According to this, it can be. I'll check if VLAN can solve the problem.
The OpenWrt log is as below if anyone can figure it out:

Wed Apr  1 00:31:32 2020 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is now down
Wed Apr  1 00:31:32 2020 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is setting up now
Wed Apr  1 00:31:33 2020 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - slhc
Wed Apr  1 00:31:33 2020 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - ppp_generic
Wed Apr  1 00:31:33 2020 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - pppox
Wed Apr  1 00:31:33 2020 daemon.err insmod: module is already loaded - pppoe
Wed Apr  1 00:31:33 2020 daemon.info pppd[21302]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Wed Apr  1 00:31:33 2020 daemon.info pppd[21302]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8p compiled against pppd 2.4.7
Wed Apr  1 00:31:33 2020 daemon.notice pppd[21302]: pppd 2.4.7 started by root, uid 0
Wed Apr  1 00:31:48 2020 daemon.warn pppd[21302]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Wed Apr  1 00:31:48 2020 daemon.err pppd[21302]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Wed Apr  1 00:31:48 2020 daemon.info pppd[21302]: Exit.

Thank you for your time.

The single port configuration described for e.g. a TL-WA703N uses the wifi interface for the lan. Your board doesn't have wifi so you would need to set up what is called a "one-armed" router. There VLANs run on the Ethernet port and an external VLAN-capable switch is used to separate them to the modem and to the LAN devices. It would be simpler to buy a device that has two ports.

3 Likes

Actually, I have a usb wifi adapter, but I can't find a driver for it! The board doesn't recognize it.
Thank you for your help

Those messages indicate the router is not reaching a server at the other end of the connection. Please, show us the config page for the connection on the modem.

I just reset the modem, and configured wireless, disabled its dhcp server, and created bridge in this page

Sorry, I meant that page but configured to connect from the modem. I want to see how is the connection configured on the modem, and see if there are any differences to your current configuration on the router.

sorry, here it is

I do not see anything wrong there... Only that the VCI parameter seems to change between 35 and 50, not sure if you have that covered.

I think every time I reset the modem, that VC would be created. I tried deleting it.
thank you by the way