Named failed to start during boot

Hi guys.

I'm using openwrt 19.07.2 @ tplink archer c7v5 running bind-server - 9.14.8-1
strange thing is happening. As soon as router rebooted named cannot start and I see fillowing in log file:

May 10 04:15:56 ap.st1.org named[1024]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
May 10 04:15:56 ap.st1.org named[1024]: creating IPv4 interface lo failed; interface ignored
May 10 04:15:56 ap.st1.org named[1024]: listening on IPv4 interface br-lan, 192.168.172.9#53
May 10 04:15:56 ap.st1.org named[1024]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
May 10 04:15:56 ap.st1.org named[1024]: creating IPv4 interface br-lan failed; interface ignored
May 10 04:15:56 ap.st1.org named[1024]: not listening on any interfaces

nonetheless whenever I restartted named ssh0in to box named runs perfectly and ready to serv clients.

What it shouls be? From my experience it shoulld be wrong permissions for pid file, but where bind@openwrt stores this file? Or any other ideas?

Thank you in advance.

As you do not provide much info, just guessing:

• conflict with dnsmasq
  • timing issue.

You might need to disable/reconfig dnsmasq, or disable named, and start explicitly in rc.local. Which should be late enough, to have rest of network started before.

dnsmasq stoped and disabled:

root@ap:/home/sam# ls /etc/rc.d/ | grep dns
root@ap:/home/sam#

also I have running ntpd for that router getting right NTP date & time from NTP server:

root@ap:/home/sam# ps w | grep ntp; date
 1526 root      1216 S<   /usr/sbin/ntpd -n -N -S /usr/sbin/ntpd-hotplug -p 192.168.172.1
 1749 root      1212 S    grep ntp
Mon May 11 16:09:10 EDT 2020
root@ap:/home/sam#

What else I need to provide?

More information on the install process, how you configured Bind, instead of Dnsmasq, etc. (i.e. information on your install - needed to assist you with your problem).

Same issue here

Seems it must be an issue with OpenWrt, since the same behaviour is exhibited from any dns server i have attempted to set up

And did you check/try the things listed above (i.e. did you resolve the conflicting program)?

• Does the default one work?
  • What did you do to get rid of it to install another?
  • What DNS servers?
  • What device?
  • What version of OpenWrt?
  • Did you make a new post - instead of reviving a 2 year old thread? (Post link)

I do have another thread going, but originally was started for issues with SmartDNS

However I did resolve the issue by setting START=99 in /etc/init.d/named

1 Like