My R8000 router crashes from time to time and I don't know why

My router environment

• Netgear R8000 (BCM4709)
  • ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
  • OpenWrt 19.07.5 r11257-5090152ae3 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.341.57626-51f55b5|
  • Kernel 4.14.209
  • Already made a extroot with 32GB USB3.0 external storage to .overlay

Issue description

• Within 1 day to 3 days, the router will automatically crash for no reason, when the router crashes, the power led light will flash every 0.5 seconds or so

Hope there are related solutions, thank you!

In cases like this, I'd avoid additional complications such as extroot - if you can, try to reproduce the issue without that.

But without extroot the system only have 22MB space for the software installation......I don't know how to expand the root storage. In addition, under the same router model and environment of my home(another router), this problem did not occur.

22 MB is quite a lot for a router…

1 Like

Currently the installed package size has exceeded 200MB...

So a lot of possibilities for the crashes. Remove all the fancy stuff, you have installed, and just use the bare-bone router for a few days. Any crashes, still ? To decide, whether its the fancy stuff, or the basic openwrt.
You might first enable remote logs, or, "logread -f". May be, you see some Out-of-Memory crashes.

200 mb wow!

1 Like

Thanks for help, I have reinstalled Openwrt(without any extra softwares) and tried it for 2 days, the problem has not been solved and the power led sometime flash in WHITE or ORANGE color.

Curious minds demand to know -- what are you running on your router? I suspect I'm using mine wrong. :wink:

1 Like

i don't think he is using openwrt, lol, mabie something like arch

There is no way to guess what's happening on without some logs.

As the first attempt, please setup remote logging. Maybe the crash / whatever is not serious enough and will let router send a log before it locks.

If that doesn't get you any errors logged, I believe the only option is serial console. You'll need to attach serial console and wait until a crash. Hopefully some interesting info will appear in console then.