My 2nd project here with OpenWrt trying the WDS

I want to do this project hopefully you can help me please:

actually i have this configuration in all my house for about 1 year straigth

I have a modem / wifi (wifi disabled) arris [192.162.0.1]
it gives connection to a TP-link Archer C7 router with the stock firmware that is the "main router"[200.81.59.1 DCHP enabled]
And connected by rj45 cable I have a Lynksys WR160ND with ddrwt as a WDS-AP [200.81.59.2 DHCP disabled]

When I am in zone A I am connected to the Archer c7, but when I move to zone B it automatically connects to the WR160ND through the WDS, manteining the same static Ip, or if the device have a dinamic ip, change it to the same ip "family" (200.81.59.50-51-52 etc)

NOW i want to do this
I want to do the same with a TP-link WR940Nv2-WR941NDv5 that dusts off and that already installs OpenWrt 18.06.8

I don't know how to configure it so that it connects by cable to the "main router" in the same IP network as [200.81.59.3] and that all the devices that connect to it have the IP that the "main router" assigns to it. (that's what I understand as WDS-AP, could still be wrong for the term because I'm not an expert)

lease whish anybody could helpme to understand openwrt to conect it as i need.

thanks ! :slight_smile:

200.x IPs are "public" and should not be used in a LAN.

For this purpose WDS or cabled connections work the same way. They allow a DHCP request to travel back to the main router. The main router answers all DHCP queries. The DHCP server in the dumb APs is turned off.

A 4/32 device might work better as a dumb AP with stock firmware. The stock firmware almost always has a way to turn off the DHCP server, which is really all you need to have a dumb AP.

The IPs assigned to dumb APs is only for administration login. User traffic moves through it at layer 2, that will work no matter what the AP's IP address is, or if it even has one.

1 Like

Blockquote A 4/32 device might work better as a dumb AP with stock firmware. The stock firmware almost always has a way to turn off the DHCP server, which is really all you need to have a dumb AP.

mmm dontk know whats is 4/32 sorry :frowning: :pensive: Yes, but when I connect normal, the stupid route continues to maintain the same IP 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 and that is what I do not want because I can no longer keep my shared folders or devices and neither would there be the roaming effect...

https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning

aaa ok thanks for that info @slh, its true because there is just a little free sace in the router... so wich version do you think that i could use on it? im only wants the roamming througth the wifi in diferents zones whitout loosing the conection

:frowning: it is not possible to do that