Mwlwifi / community builds

@eduperez @patrikx3

https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/driver.wlan/mwlwifi#community_builds is currently missing any explanation why those community builds are listed on the mwlwifi driver page and why someone should use those instead of the official OpenWrt builds.

Would be great if you could add a short explanation.

TIA!

1 Like

When those drivers were in bad shape (but under fast development), it made sense to package the latest versions (of the drivers) so people could test them over stable releases (of OpenWrt).

Now that development has stopped completely, and those drivers are probably as good as they will ever be, I do not see any reason to continue with my community builds.

I do not plan to build those packages for 19.07 or further releases.

1 Like

OK, I see.

Then the reason for having the "Community builds" section (=newer drivers than official OpenWrt) is not given any more.

I propose to remove this section once 19.07.0 has been released.

2 Likes

I'm hesitating to remove this section already now.

I'm rather thinking of

OLD

Updated pre-compiled packages, that can be installed on top of stable releases

NEW

Updated pre-compiled packages, that can be installed on top of stable releases up to 18.06. Later OpenWrt releases already include the latest mwlwifi drivers and do not need these packages.

1 Like

Looks good to me.

Also, some community builds other than mine (@davidc502's, for example) are based on SNAPSHOT instead of RELEASE, are built using a different set of packages, incorporate experimental features, ... Perhaps they should also speak their minds about the issue.