Mvebu: target upgrade borked

That's not expected, the situation should be exactly like for the first time, as the router just is still 1.0, only the error message should be a little bit different. Of course, if you already did an upgrade beforehand, the old and the new image are now the same, so how would you detect a successful/unsuccessful upgrade?

On the first time there was only the old sysupgrade logic, now there is the new script doing the evaluation. And the config has not been created from scratch (old config present after "sysupgrade force"), so the compat value is probably not 1.0, but just empty, right? Maybe the new sysupgrade/fwtool script doesn't react well to a missing value ????

empty is assumed to be "1.0" for all cases:

Looks like I will have to build a firmware with luci after all and look at this myself.

I think this is bugged.
I already have DSA running and set compat version to 1.1 but sysupgrade still gave me the warning that version 1.1 can not be migrated from swconfig to DSA.

@shm0 Did you properly add the option to uci config, with correct spelling?
uci set system.@system[0].compat_version="1.1"

I tested this in multiple situations on the command line.

Note that adding the uci setting before the first upgrade attempt won't help, as your "old" upgrade mechanism doesn't know about it. However, it should be preserved during the upgrade, so the config would be "1.1" afterwards and subsequent upgrades should work then.

1 Like

This explains it. Thanks.

That looks more readable, thanks.

I've picked up the feedback here and submitted a patchset to improve the experience:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/list/?series=194457

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.