Mt7621, usb-storage Failing

You don't need to sign up to find it, got a bit of help to track it down myself though:

https://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-April/034651.html

1 Like

Thanks!! I took a look, not sure the mailing list issue applies (for the mt7621), agreed?

But also, looking more at the log, I see the lines below recurring,

[    5.171035] kmodloader: - scsi_mod - 0
[    5.174854] kmodloader: dependency not loaded scsi_mod
[    5.189139] kmodloader: dependency not loaded scsi_mod
[    5.201508] kmodloader: dependency not loaded scsi_mod
[   10.802459] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_req_init (err -2)
[   10.808081] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol sg_scsi_ioctl (err -2)
[   10.813692] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_sense_desc_find (err -2)
[   10.819875] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol sg_free_table_chained (err -2)
[   10.826381] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_command_size_tbl (err -2)
[   10.832645] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_device_type (err -2)
[   10.838555] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsilun_to_int (err -2)
[   10.844292] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_normalize_sense (err -2)
[   10.850475] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol sg_alloc_table_chained (err -2)
[   10.941956] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_req_init (err -2)
[   10.947619] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol sg_scsi_ioctl (err -2)
[   10.953233] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_sense_desc_find (err -2)
[   10.959416] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol sg_free_table_chained (err -2)
[   10.965910] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_command_size_tbl (err -2)
[   10.972178] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_device_type (err -2)
[   10.978085] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsilun_to_int (err -2)
[   10.983825] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol scsi_normalize_sense (err -2)
[   10.990003] scsi_mod: Unknown symbol sg_alloc_table_chained (err -2)

So thinking that scsi_mod is just plain missing => this causes the unknown symbols after that? Or do I have that wrong?

Thanks again.

FYI ... hmmm.

# insmod scsi_mod
failed to insert /lib/modules/5.4.110/scsi_mod.ko

Really seems like this file is not happy. But I may be wrong!

No looks like something different. You can run 'strings' on the module(s) to see of they provide those symbols. I'm sure someone with a real background in this stuff will chime in :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great idea, thanks! Did that, they are there. For some reason it seems like the module will not load. Then again, I may be full of it :rofl:

have you tried to copy the /lib/ dir into ~, and manually depmodding the copied directory to ensure the modules.* files are up to date? i.e.

mkdir ~/lib
cp -r /lib/modules ~/lib/
depmod -b ~/. 
modprobe -d ~/. <module name>/

i've seen errors like that when either the kernel was missing symbols or my module dependency files were out of date.

Definitely willing to try - thanks! Hmmm, getting this odd error though (even though I see the directory),

~# depmod -b ~/.
depmod: can't change directory to '/5.4.110': No such file or directory

But,

# ls -alF ~/lib/modules
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root           224 Apr 12 21:00 ./
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root           224 Apr 12 21:00 ../
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          7176 Apr 12 21:00 5.4.110/

Thanks again.

just cd to your home, then do

depmod -b .
modprobe -d . {modulename}

Yep, I had tried that too - same error. Very weird!

Thanks.

same error as your original post, or here?

Exactly the same. I also tried depmod -b /root. Same error, but I confirmed that,

# ls /root/lib/modules/5.4.110/
cfg80211.ko              ip6t_REJECT.ko           mt7603e.ko               nls_cp437.ko             ums-datafab.ko           xhci-plat-hcd.ko
compat.ko                ip6table_filter.ko       mt7615-common.ko         nls_iso8859-1.ko         ums-freecom.ko           xt_FLOWOFFLOAD.ko
crc-ccitt.ko             ip6table_mangle.ko       mt7615e.ko               nls_utf8.ko              ums-isd200.ko            xt_LOG.ko
crc32_generic.ko         ip_tables.ko             nf_conntrack.ko          ntfs.ko                  ums-jumpshot.ko          xt_MASQUERADE.ko
crc32c_generic.ko        ipt_REJECT.ko            nf_conntrack_rtcache.ko  ppp_async.ko             ums-karma.ko             xt_REDIRECT.ko
ehci-fsl.ko              iptable_filter.ko        nf_defrag_ipv4.ko        ppp_generic.ko           ums-sddr09.ko            xt_TCPMSS.ko
ehci-hcd.ko              iptable_mangle.ko        nf_defrag_ipv6.ko        pppoe.ko                 ums-sddr55.ko            xt_comment.ko
ehci-pci.ko              iptable_nat.ko           nf_flow_table.ko         pppox.ko                 ums-usbat.ko             xt_conntrack.ko
ehci-platform.ko         jbd2.ko                  nf_flow_table_hw.ko      scsi_mod.ko              usb-common.ko            xt_limit.ko
exfat.ko                 leds-gpio.ko             nf_log_common.ko         sd_mod.ko                usb-storage.ko           xt_mac.ko
ext4.ko                  libcrc32c.ko             nf_log_ipv4.ko           sg.ko                    usbcore.ko               xt_mark.ko
f2fs.ko                  mac80211.ko              nf_log_ipv6.ko           slhc.ko                  vfat.ko                  xt_multiport.ko
fat.ko                   mbcache.ko               nf_nat.ko                uas.ko                   x_tables.ko              xt_nat.ko
fsl-mph-dr-of.ko         msdos.ko                 nf_reject_ipv4.ko        uhci-hcd.ko              xhci-hcd.ko              xt_state.ko
gpio-button-hotplug.ko   mt76-connac-lib.ko       nf_reject_ipv6.ko        ums-alauda.ko            xhci-mtk.ko              xt_tcpudp.ko
ip6_tables.ko            mt76.ko                  nls_base.ko              ums-cypress.ko           xhci-pci.ko              xt_time.ko

And,

# uname -r

Crazy! LOL.

Same error also with just depmod

i assume manually insmodding the module in the ~/lib/modules/5.4.110/ also yielded a similar error?

i'm not sure if /root is writable in openwrt. nor am i certain if you are considering ~ and /root to be the same (which they may be in openwrt, again not sure).

the idea of copying the lib/modules folder to ~/lib is to have a writable directory, which then would allow the depmod -b command to create the module dependency files.

then we use modprobe on that temporary root (presumably ~, but i mean you could use your usb key path if it's more intuitive) with the -b flag, it would eliminate any symbol issues related to the module dependency files.

Slighly differenet,

# insmod ~/lib/modules/5.4.110/scsi_mod.ko
failed to insert /root/lib/modules/5.4.110/scsi_mod.ko

Makes sense, and the directory is writeable - as the copy operation works. It's odd ... I just carefully looked at the path, and it's going to root ... not /lib/modules?!?! It's like that's missing somehow.

Thanks!

if you're using busybox depmod, you may need to override a configuration file

just scope out the directions here (often the compiled versions of busybox for routers are without any instructions as they can add up)

1 Like

Appreciate the pointers! Was pulling my hair out, nothing seemed to be working (likely a lot on me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). So as a last resort I tried the TESTING kernel (5.10) => bingo, came straight up (USB and all)! Seems like something is now broken in the 5.4 kernel? Configuration related I'm thinking / guessing?

Thanks again.

it's very possible.

file a bug report if the non-testing build is the current version. it's probably not just you who is experiencing the issue.

1 Like

Will do - thanks again for the pointers and help. Much appreciated!

Might this be the issue at hand?

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-April/034696.html

1 Like

Sure looks like it - thanks!!