MT7621 successor

Hello everybody.

I've only been using MT7621 based access points for a while now and have been really happy with them (ASUS RT-AX53U, CUDY X6 v1, COMFAST CF-EW72 V2 and GL.iNet GL-MT1300 on the go, or as a backup).

A friend wants me to install an OpenWRT AP for him and I haven't updated my knowledge of hardware developments for a while.

So I imagine that the MT7621 must now be outdated and a new generation has probably replaced it.

Can you tell me which SOC is trending right now?

So here are some basic specifications:

• good support under OpenWRT of course
  • No real bad trend known to date awaiting correction
  • target usage: AP only (no need to make it a router at all)
  • Wifi 6 at least
  • to be placed on the side of the "good students" in terms of electricity consumption if possible (our APs are on 24 hours a day... so this is a consideration which becomes important, the MT7621 is very correct on this point)

What will be the points to watch out for when selecting the access point/router with the SOC(ies) offered (minimum RAM? minimum Flash? PA/LNA? any other ideas?)

For the moment I have identified the Cudy WR3000 (MT7981) which seems to correspond despite the 16/256MB which seem quite limited to me for future versions of OpenWRT (identical to my CF-EW72 V2 and I have no problems with it ).

I wouldn't take a GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (same SOC) because of the multiplexed antennas as I don't have a fabulous experience with the MT1300 which shares this design (but I love it in many other aspects)

Thank you in advance for your answers

I prefer the lowest prices + huge mass production product, such as Xiaomi AX3000T.
It's us$20~30 in china, fully for a replacement of MT7621 routers in coming years.

I own GL-INET MT1300 & MT3000, also bought Cudy WR3000 for my friend, so I can say that your feeling is correct: Cudy WR3000 doesn't have much RAM/flash but since you only use it as AP it's enough; For MT1300/MT3000 are not very good when the area is large (the speed drops when you are about 5-6m away) so the usage will be limited to small room or hotel (which is also it's original purpose), if you are planning to cover a small area these 2 are still great choice.

Since you are really looking for AP purpose device, you can probably look at Zyxel NWA50 AX (Pro or not Pro are supported), Netgear WAX 206/220

Thanks for the replies.
So it seems that MT7981 is the correct target for my needs.

My friend lives in a fairly large single-story house.

My personal experiences with ceiling mounted access points (WAX218, NWA50AX [non-pro] all with internal antennas) have not given me much satisfaction in my single-story home while access points/routers with external antennas (donut pattern) gave me much better results.
Perhaps a ceilling mount AP would become more interesting with heights greater than 2m50 (fairly common in businesses, less common in residential homes) ?
I'm not knowledgeable enough in radiation studies to say more, but my personal experiences have been largely reproducible in my case.

Ok, let's see if anyone has anything bad to say about the MT7981 :innocent:

Until now, you still haven't mentioned about the size of your home, and my experience about those APs are pretty good (I own WAX206/220), no ext. antenna but the design of internal antennae are good enough to compete with those with ext. antennae. The issue would be how you place them

MT7621 is just the CPU part. That CPU is though old, but common in a lot of cheap "modern" WifiAX APs, as APs dont need lots of CPU power (no routing, no NAT, no firewalling in APs).
I would rather look for the Wifi chip type that accompanies the CPU, when looking for cheap APs (look for one that covers Wifi AX). Not that you want to prio mt7621, but there are still many cheap products in the market and several of them are covered by OpenWRT.

mt7622 is also a successor, though rare but despite the rather small number change also a very potent CPU successor on paar with mt79xx.

And there are actually 3 mt79 based successors: mt7981, mt7986, mt7988.

@fakemanhk yes I know, AP placement is the key, but I never found a perfect placement in my own case with internal antennas APs, and even if I tried a lot I always went with some dark spots somewhere whatever I tried.
While it was each time painless with any external's one I used.
So I have no real reason to try hard again and again with ceilling mount APs.
It is a very interesting subject of course, but that's not really my initial question

Thanks @Pico, yes MT7621 is just the CPU part as you said but is an important part of the good of bad support we can expect from OpenWRT in the present and in the futur, as it precisely conditions the wifi components compatible with the CPU.

That's somewhat why I asked :

What will be the points to watch out for when selecting the access point/router with the SOCs offered (minimum RAM? minimum Flash? PA/LNA? any other ideas?)

So in the category "any other ideas" we can therefore completely deal with the subject "I would rather look for the Wifi chip type that accompanies the CPU"

so don't hesitate to elaborate your answer in more detail if you wish because this is precisely the part of the subject that is really interesting.
The objective for me is ultimately quite simple and probably common, it is precisely to identify the right assembly of components whose support will be ensured in a lasting manner with honest performances (and not to simply give me a model of AP to buy without having to think about it for myself, this one is another part of the journey and I will deal with it with pleasure).

If the MT7621 is still an honest competitor then that's great, but if it's time to think about the future I'll just be happy to upgrade to a successor for a new purchase.

Sorry if I have a little trouble making my expectations clearly understood, English is not my native language so Google translate is my friend.