MT7621 (dsa) changing MTU (on kernel 5.10)

By default OpenWRT creates LAN1..4 and WAN as part of the DSA setup. All of those have an MTU of 1500 except the underlying eth0 which has an MTU of 1504.

I would like to change e.g. the WAN MTU because my ISP uses PPPoE so I should reduce the MTU to 1492 or better yet increase the WAN MTU to 1508 so I can transmit "standard" 1500 mtu size packets.

Since its DSA I tried changing the ETH0 MTU, which I can only increase to 1510? but the underlying WAN or any LAN can't be changed: a number higher than 1500 gives:

RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

but a lower number says:

RTNETLINK answers: Not supported

Looking at the code for the mtk_soc and the mt7530 it seems that both support up to 2K (minus some header overhead), so why can't I make the changes?

root@gw:~# ip a s | grep -e ^2 -e ^3
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1504 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
3: wan@eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
root@gw:~# ip link set wan mtu 1515
root@gw:~# ip a s | grep -e ^2 -e ^3
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1504 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
3: wan@eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1515 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000

For me on my Xiaomi Redmi Router AC2100 with MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3 running OpenWrt 21.02.1 it is possible to change the mtu for wan....

oh, I have installed, don't know if it matters:

root@gw:~# opkg list-installed|grep ip-full
ip-full - 5.11.0-3

But I really dont understand why u try to lower the mtu for eth0 - that would affect also the mtu of all child interfaces.

the mtu for PPPoE must only be lowered for the wan interface - this is at best done with:
uci add network device # =cfg100f15
uci set network.@device[-1].name='wan'
uci set network.@device[-1].mtu='1492'
uci set network.@device[-1].mtu6='1492'

or in luci u should look at network > devices tab

1 Like

Thanks for checking. Maybe something changed in the recent updates?

I did a fresh git pull; feeds update; make clean etc. Still the same problem.

I don't think I should need IP-full, but I have that anyway ip-full-5.14.0.2 running latest snapshot and kernel 5.10.76.

I can change the number on de Luci devices page and it will show anything between 576 - 9000. However IP LINK will still show 1500. I believe what IP is reporting over what Luci is reading from the config file.

BTW: the reason I tried eth0 was because initially I tried a higher number than 1500 and since eth0 MTU was set to 1504 I figured maybe a child is not allowed to have a higher number.

I did a downgrade to kernel 5.4 and I could change the MTU (without the need for ip-full). Up and down. This also has the DSA driver already so something most have changed with version 5.10.

I will try to investigate this problem further.