MT-6000 snapshot issues with filesystem?

Good morning all,
First post been a long time lurker and have read some posts with similar issue. im definitely in over my head a bit. I have recently migrated to the snapshot release and everything is working fine. However i do get multiple errors on my kernel logs on boot. furthermore, my /dev/loop0 filesystem is read only. Odd thing is that the router works but i know from reading around it could be indicative of a dying drive, though i dont see how the router is brand new.

{
	"kernel": "6.6.30",
	"hostname": "openwrt",
	"system": "ARMv8 Processor rev 4",
	"model": "GL.iNet GL-MT6000",
	"board_name": "glinet,gl-mt6000",
	"rootfs_type": "squashfs",
	"release": {
		"distribution": "OpenWrt",
		"version": "SNAPSHOT",
		"revision": "r26348-3e5a23639f",
		"target": "mediatek/filogic",
		"description": "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r26348-3e5a23639f"
	}
}

NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
loop0          7:0    0  7.2G  0 loop /overlay
mmcblk0      179:0    0  7.3G  0 disk 
├─mmcblk0p1  179:1    0  512K  0 part 
├─mmcblk0p2  179:2    0    2M  0 part 
├─mmcblk0p3  179:3    0    2M  0 part 
├─mmcblk0p4  179:4    0    2M  0 part 
├─mmcblk0p5  179:5    0    2M  0 part 
├─mmcblk0p6  179:6    0   32M  0 part 
└─mmcblk0p7  179:7    0  7.2G  0 part /rom
mmcblk0boot0 179:8    0    4M  1 disk 
mmcblk0boot1 179:16   0    4M  1 disk 
zram0        252:0    0  200M  0 disk [SWAP]

root@openwrt ~ # df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                49.3M     49.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                   493.3M     12.9M    480.4M   3% /tmp
/dev/loop0                7.2G    518.5M      6.7G   7% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        7.2G    518.5M      6.7G   7% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

root@openwrt ~ # cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
root@openwrt ~ # mount
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime,errors=continue)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/loop0 on /overlay type f2fs (rw,lazytime,noatime,background_gc=on,nogc_merge,discard,discard_unit=block,no_heap,user_xattr,inline_xattr,inline_data,inline_dentry,flush_merge,barrier,extent_cache,mode=adaptive,active_logs=6,alloc_mode=reuse,checkpoint_merge,fsync_mode=posix,memory=normal,errors=continue)
overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work,xino=off)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,noatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,noatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
bpffs on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,mode=700)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,noatime)

I have a feeling something could have happened when i switched from GL firmware to snapshot a month or 2 ago, i will also paste some of the kernel errors i get on boot. I am quite a noob compared to most though i do read logs like a maniac and trying to learn.

overlayfs: null uuid detected in lower fs '/', falling back to xino=off,index=off,nfs_export=off.

bridger[2047]: memfd_create() called without MFD_EXEC or MFD_NOEXEC_SEAL set
cacheinfo: Unable to detect cache hierarchy for CPU 0

gpio_button_hotplug: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.

it's really the first one i have a feeling is the issue. i do NOT use extroot, i did attempt to add a usb months ago, yet it wouldnt work so i stopped. I've tried flashing and reflashing different images and even customs. i'm stumped at this point and could use some you talented nerds guidance lol.

using lspci shows nothing as well, and the filesystem layout is throwing me off, everyone with a similar setup has an ext4 filesystem for loop not sure why mine is setup as f2fs, i didnt do any crazy tweaking of the filesystem just used firmware selector.

I flashed latest stable snapshot last night from scratch hoping the issues would go away, i also tried following the x86 resize guide even though the loop is f2fs.

When using gdisk it tells me the backup GPT is corrupt, and that i need to resize, i believe that would be mmcblk0p7 but it doesn't let me and im apprehensive to do so i dont fry my drive. I was unable to find any proper guidance for my setup to fix this after many many hours of searching so i thought it time to make a post. I also read the entire GL MT-6000 thread twice atleast

THANK you all for the help and time, let me know any other info needed much appreciated for everything you guys do!

I have the same errors

type or proot@OpenWrt:~# dmesg | grep bridger
root@OpenWrt:~# dmesg | grep overlay
[    5.289251] mount_root: switching to f2fs overlay
[    5.294611] overlayfs: null uuid detected in lower fs '/', falling back to xino=off,index=off,nfs_export=off.
root@OpenWrt:~# dmesg | grep gpio
[    2.728170] gpio_button_hotplug: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
root@OpenWrt:~#

Did you just find these errors in the log and go down the rabbit hole on them? Or do you have any performance issues or issues with the device itself?

1 Like

I've been going down the rabbit hole for sure. I dont notice performance issues that often . however wireguard speeds are inconsistent testing last night on 1gig up/down fiber I get 950 up/down then 30 mins later I'll get 5 Mbps up???

I read that the cache and gpio errors aren't to worry about. My maim concern is the drive because it says the gpt table is corrupt and the hidden file system overlaps but I can't resize it.
Let me know what you find to bro