MR8300 doesn't boot 22.03.4 (as expected)

I know, but you can only set kernsize with kernel 5.10

The stripped down version can be as simple as using the firmware selector with a minimal set of packages and a start up script that set the kernsize.

You don't understand, there will not be any kernel v5.10 in 23.xx at all. Not on the source level - and even less in binary form, there's no way to do this sanely. The kernel is always shared between all devices of a (sub-)target, there can't be different kernels for different images of the same (sub-)target, not without major buildsystem changes (no going to happen). On top of that, none of the developers will sign up for continued kernel v5.10 maintenance for 22.xx, that would be a significant undertaking - and swconfig vs DSA won't make this any easier either. Really, there is no chance -at all- for this.

The options with 22.03.x would be:

• documentation changes in the wiki (device page)
    trivial, someone will just have to write something up, anyone can sign up for a wiki account
  • linking to a simple script to do these changes on top of 22.03
    easy, apart from writing said script (relatively easy, the biggest effort would be proper error handling (making sure not to mess up the firmware environment)
  • getting above script into a future 22.03.x maintenance release, available for manual execution
    you'd likely be able to convince a developer to merge such a PR
  • changing sysupgrade in a future 22.03.x maintenance release to do the necessary automatically for you
    this will need more convincing a developer, but that might be successful.

I do understand, I know.

If you read my initial suggestion it said from 22.03.3

What I'm suggesting is a firmware that just sets the kernsize, before flashing with the 23.xx firmware.
Because for a new user of OpenWrt on MR8300 THEY WILL ALWAYS need to use a 22.03.3 firmware to set the kernsize! So it mind as well be a firmware that does this automatically and as such it only needs minimal set of packages.

I can create this firmware right now by going to the firmware selector, selecting a minimal custom set of packages for 22.03.3 and a startup script that sets the kernsize.

Finally put a link to this firmware in the wiki page.

EDIT: Added that this firmware could be downloaded from the wiki.

1 Like

Still a kludge by any other name, refresh the 22.03.4 tree and all is done for good. Simple, elegant, and keeps the migraines to a minimum.

Sure.

But... that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about in the future, after 23.xx is out and a user gets a Linksys MR8300. You will not be able to install 23.xx on it because of the kernsize limitation, so that user will still need to install a a firmware with kernel 5.10 before to set the kernsize. Now, I have no problem if 22.03.4 or 5 checks the kernsize automatically and sets it at boot (although a user might actually want to use 22.03.4 or 5 without changing kernsize).

Other IPQ40xx devices are already running with kernsize 600000, for which I have also adopted so that the next kernel bump does not hit the ceiling anytime soon, so using an interim step for installation is acceptable for future releases as long as the release notes disclose it. A commented addition to the rc.local script for these boxes that tests for the firmware environment variable size and automatically adjusts to the parameter to the desired cap for all legacy releases would solve the upgrade issue in the future but would still bite the individuals starting from a fresh 23.x and later release.

So... What I'm suggesting is creating (already said this multiple times) a stripped down firmware of 22.03.x that only serves to set the kernsize and reboot back to partition A, automatically and put a link to it in the wiki.

The kernsize cap adjustment could become a feature, always checking for the next stable release.

But down the line, say, 5 years from now, and a user gets this device, OEM, it would be helpful that there was a link in the wiki to a firmware (again, it would have to be 22.03.x with a startup script) that would set the kernsize to whatever would be the ceiling needed then.

Hi.
22.03.5 (about to be released) is now booting!
Thanks to the devs for solving this.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.