Modem Router with support for OpenWrt

In the location I currently am I am having the following options for Internet Service.

• DSL based
  • Cable based

I assume that would require the use of either an ADSL Modem or a Cable Modem. But from what I gather from the searches on the forum it looks like OpenWrt is not well support for either of these options. I provide a couple of links below from my search.

Am I interpreting correctly that in this case it is better to run the initial connection with the stock firmware and bridge the WAN to the LAN in this router and then plug a compatible router say Linksys ACM3200 as a LAN connection to this router and then perform the rest of the configuration in OpenWrt.

Please advice.

I interpreting correctly that in this case it is better to run the initial connection with the stock firmware and bridge the WAN to the LAN in this router and then plug a compatible router say Linksys ACM3200 as a LAN connection to this router and then perform the rest of the configuration in OpenWrt.

Bingo! There are very few occasions where a two in one solution would be superior..... and most of those would not require custom firmware anywho. :slight_smile:

I think most folks, myself included carry cost factors in the back of their mind when they address your question. In reality though, you only have to look at the obsolescence factor of cisco SOHO equipment to realize that a two device setup wins almost every time.

4 Likes

For dsl, theres a few all-in-one options, with varying levels of performance

(Edit: this list is actually all devices , not necessarily devices that have suppoort for the modem inside. See @phizev post below.)

https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all?dataflt[Modem*~]=Dsl&dataflt[Supported+Current+Rel*~]=18.06.1

But as @anon50098793 said, usually a dedicated modem will be more optimal , and from what i understand thats mostly due to drivers for them being closed source

1 Like

This is the list of devices which have supported DSL modems in OpenWrt:
https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_modem_supported

There are many devices with modems which OpenWrt will run on, but without the modem being functional. @Sparks link lists all devices, working modem, or not. (Mainly mentioning as I had assumed initially those were supported, and was wondering where the explosion in DSL modem support came from.)

2 Likes

I remember @hauke remarking that Lantiq devices don't support BQL, which is necessary for stuff like fq_codel and cake.

1 Like

BQL is not necessary for fq_codel or cake, but when it is applied to the bottleneck link it can obviate the need for a traffic shaper, which is often used as a workaround to missing BQL.

1 Like

@anon50098793, @Sparks
Thanks for your suggestions, this is very helpful. I have decided to go with the dedicated ADSL Modem as the first step.

:+1: last comment id make is to check the device youve chosen has good documentation on the wiki, and also search for it here on the forum in case any others have run into problems.

1 Like

@phizev
This is a very helpful list thanks for sharing. I see that most of them are unavailable except for a couple of them.

Just got off the call with my internet provided who is AT&T, they do not allow the use of a custom modem and their current modem does not support bridging.

The only two options I have for internet are AT&T and Comcast, Comcast does allow the use of your own Modem, however I am not very happy with their approach towards net neutrality.

I guess I am stuck between a rock and a hard place :frowning:

AT&T used to have a sort of modem only offering that offered pseudo-bridging. Motorola 2310 I think it was.

@neheb Spoke to AT&T looks like either they don't do this anymore or the support engineer didn't care, but looks like this option is ruled out. Lets see what tomorrow brings in terms of Internet Service Providers.

IIRC The TLS certificate expired on that modem actually (U-Verse uses 802.1x).

Might be worthwhile just cascading your own router of the isp modem

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/switch_router_gateway_and_nat

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/dmz-based-bridge-mode

1 Like

@mbo2o
Thanks a lot Bill for the link.
I was initially having the openwrt router into the LAN port and working with this setup.

After reading the link I search more closely on the configuration page and I saw that there was an option for IP Mapping, where I can assign the public WAN IP in DMZ mode to the openwrt router. WooHoo now I have a public IP on my router, which is exactly what I wanted.

I am more or less complete now on this point and can now work on the DDNS. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.