MochaBin-5G @ KickStarter

Yes, there will be no support as the driver doesnt exist upstream and even worse its behind an NDA

what's wrong with electrolytics

that's the best kind of wifi hardware for OpenWrt, just like Broadcomm's wifi

/sarcasm

Low lifecycle, high ESR, highly depending on the ambient temperature, significant changes in capacity over lifecycle

if you was born like me 20+ years ago i bet you had same as me fun time re-soldering electrolyte cap on your GPU or motherboard, and i bet you never re-solder solid cap.

1 Like

Nah the only ones I had to replace were because of the "capacitor plague" (aka a manufacturing defect that makes the electrolytic caps pop after a short time, it was a thing back in the day).

But PC motherboard manufacturers started to put "solid caps" instead than electrolytics and push that as a feature, capitalizing on the people that got burned by the "capacitor plague".

Mind me, there are plenty of situations where an electrolytic cap can do the same job, like in most power filtering applications. I know that a lot of stuff on the board has stricter standards and you need solid state (and also SMD) capacitors, and that's fine.

The "low lfecycle" is true only if you keep your electronics in an oven, (i.e. at the max temp the cap is rated for, which is usually somewhere around 100 celsius).

If the operating temperature in your device aren't anywhere near that, the lifetime increases dramatically due to de-rating. If you keep electrolytics at say 60 celsius instead than 100, their lifespan exceedes the lifespan of solid-state ones, in most cases.

1 Like

ot but anyone remember badcaps.net? I use to stay up many late nights replacing bad caps on various failed electronics, even whole computers, I got for free so I could resell them at a tidy profit.

Personally I think the issue was counterfeit caps super low quality plus some factories knowingly used grossly inferior components then were specked. They even knew about the failure rates and still kept pumping them out.... However! That was decades ago and I don't even remember the last time I had a capacitor fail on me. It's been years.... And out of habit I always check any time I have visual access to a PCB So if this board has 'lytic caps I would not worry about it. That chapter in history has been long closed. Please don't let the capacitor choice sway anyone from pulling the trigger one way or another, there are much better reasons to get one or not to get one.

The "semi-official" explanation of how it went down was that someone failed hard at industrial espionage when taking japanese electrolytic cap technology to china/taiwan. The chemical composition of the electrolyte in the capacitor was wrong and was both corroding the metal container and generating hydrogen, resulting in caps that blow the seal and die.

1 Like

I think I remember that too but I personally don't buy it. I think the issues went on way too long for it to be a case of espionage. I think espionage was an excuse made by damage control to cover up greed. Espionage in electronics is literally expected and one can hardly fault a chinese factory for stealing caps from a foreign competitor. It's just what they do with everything. But getting caught greedily dumping knowingly defective and inferior caps for the sake of profit can ruin a business's rep. I base this hypothesis on one main thing. --> Do you remember the case of certain caps from certain factories in china being found out to literally be hollow and containing physically smaller caps inside them? That isn't espionage, that's just greed. https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-370ab73e4979dbb7e6563e0d1dbf3cf2
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_MHnI-B0pJ8k/TdgUC_nd_0I/AAAAAAAAAms/fN3K6ujio6Q/s640/20uf_sprague.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_MHnI-B0pJ8k/TdgUKv7mVKI/AAAAAAAAAm0/yXIH6wZycVo/s640/100_9645.JPG
Anyways I'm getting way OT and I know it.

Really !?

Like the NSA "company" ?

Is it chinese also ?

Like Google, Facebook, Amazon, ... I let you think of others...

America is so clean...
Europa is so cute...

Really !?

we have a sentence here to say this :
"When you want to kill your dog, you just say it had plague !"

/mode troll off

This badcaps subject may be is of interest...

But, please, keep the subject in is main part discuss !
This all get more to trolling than technical feedbacks and questions.

I don't see were it could help !?

My apologize if my words hurt anybody but I really prefer technical feedbacks for my hacking hardware choices...

2 Likes

Just a small update, ARM TF-A (ATF) support was merged yesterday for all of the supported memory
layouts (2, 4 and 8 GB).
U-boot patches have been sent as well, it's now just a matter of improving the hw-info parser.

Linux DTS has also reached v6 patchset, hopefully it gets merged soon and then the whole stack will be upstream.

2 Likes

Whooo ! good works again @robimarko !!

1 Like

And another update, DTS was picked to mvebu/dt64 so it will be a part of 5.16 kernel release.

3 Likes

Marvell dropped the Armada series entirely. The SoC (A7040), which uses Mochabin, is labeled from Marvell as Not recommended for new products, so no support from Marvell side. Once it is not recommended for new products, it is just a matter of time when it will be announced as obsolete.

Source:
https://www.mvista.com/bsp/bsp_search_results.php

Take a look at the previous SoC Armada 3720. You can see that the community behind Espressobin had so many issues (pciadvark driver e.g.; for more curious people, take a look at kernel commits), which were not resolved or were fixed recently.

Just my two cents.

As far as Marvell is concerned only Octeon TX2 is current, and not recommended only means that its not receiving new features from Marvell, but it will receive bug fixes.
But Octeon TX2 is way more expensive and I have yet to see it in an end product.
Armada 7040 and 8040 are gonna be here for a while, especially with popular products using them.

2 Likes

The only thing that matters from there is the hardware chip availability, and given how these things go it will be years before it's marked as obsolete and more years before supplies of the SoC run out after that.

Opensource developers can't just get NDAs and open support tickets to Marvell anyway so the cut off dates for "official support" are not terribly relevant.

1 Like

I'm saving my money for the Turris Omnia 2022 - even there isn't much content about it for now except twitter pics and this thread

1 Like

A little reminder about MochaBin.
The crowdfunding is still in progress...
Now 10 days from the end !

@turris members team, so nosense facts about Marvell SoC, that you also use in your products !

Edit: I am not affiliate in anyway with GlobalScaleTrchnologies, Marvell, or any competitors company.
My ideas are only personal and try to stay as neutral as possible, with technical experiences and knowledge sharing in mind...

1 Like

wifi6 cards;

a) wont work (refund available?)
b) will work with closed source drivers
c) other?

sata booting;

a) should work
b) will work
c) wont work
d) requires manual stuff to work (place where adapter cables can be purchased, cost and product code/description)

these guys seem alot less clear and confident about what they are able to deliver than turris... so I probably wouldn't put those two companies in the same sentence...

(and you have to pay before you can ask questions)

1 Like

Another chance to get one MochaBin at Indiegogo !

Enjoy