Mixed Radio Wi-fi?

Hi I’m using the LEDE 7 on Sky Fibre on the Bt HH 5a. Other than giving both radios the same name is there a way of using the 2g and 5g radio under one SSID?

• I'm not clear on what you're asking. There is no requirement that the 2.4 and 5.4 use the same SSID to work together. And "giving them the same name" is giving them the same SSID.
  • If you're referring to auto pick of 2.4 or 5.4, OpenWrt does not include any "band steering" capability by default.

See:

Sorry yes thats what i was asking, See i have both the 2g and 5g radio with the same SSID and my phone / computer etc pick up only 1 SSID if its not band steering then how do my devices know which one they are connecting too?

They pick based on whatever the devloper of the WiFi software decided (i.e. Android, Apple, etc.). See:

Hope this helps.

Thank you all :slight_smile:

Ideally the only clients you'd have on 2.4 GHz are those that do not have a 5 GHz radio. So I suggest different SSIDs, such as adding "-2" to the 2.4 GHz. This emphasizes that 2.4 is a second choice to the 5 for someone who can see both.

1 Like

It's not as easy as that, considering range as well. 2.4 GHz has much better indoor range (wall penetration) than 5 GHz, giving you better performance one or two rooms down than 5 GHz. While in an ideal (office-) scenario you would have enough APs to avoid this being an issue, you might want to save on power consumption for multiple devices at home and opt to live with some weaker spots instead (respectively don't have a good enough wired backbone to connect one AP per 1-2 rooms anyways).

At least android devices seem to prefer 5 GHz while being in range of good reception, enabling 802.11r can also help.