Missing console (ttyUSB0) ability to Activate?

I've built an image that has somehow managed to lose the ability to have an Interactive console (ttyUSB0). Not that I cannot use the console connection, I can.. I can see the kernel log scrolling.

However, I never get the Press ENTER to activate this console message, and hitting Enter does nothing.

Also note that I've tried the option ttylogin '1' (defaults to 0, though 0 doesn't effect console logins on any other build I've made) and no go. ttylogin 0 or 1, it doesn't work. I can still use ssh in either setting.

grep tty /etc/inittab
1 Like

First, thank you for helping :slight_smile:

root@Shield:/etc# cat inittab
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS S boot
::shutdown:/etc/init.d/rcS K shutdown
::askconsole:/usr/libexec/login.sh
root@Shield:/etc# 

Yes, it isn't the grep, but you can see why I just cat'd it..

However, I can tell you that I have it working again. I suspect OpenWrt wasn't loading init, which caused all sorts of issues. This whole target is convoluted and I'm feeling my way through it.

Question, I am choosing to save /proc/config.gz in the build. This is just the Kernel config? How can I make my cleaned target-tree use it? There are specific settings I lucked into with the ethernet drivers that I'd like to keep as "known working".

Again @anon50098793 I appreciate the help!

Your config.gz is a derivative ( based on defaults, package selections, target makefile etc. ), it's not designed ( from a buildroot perspective ) to be plugged back in at the top of the chain statically.

Use it as a reference and address the core / package selections where applicable... and in the worst case you could add a couple of static options. But, overriding or using the whole thing is not intended / advised.

1 Like

Gotcha.. I appreciate the info. My issue comes from the fact I haven't narrowed down the exact CONFIG_ options the enable things like the ethernet driver that I've patched in. I've got a scattershot "I know this works" config, but I've lost that build and can't seem to re-create it :blush:. I was hoping for a more elegant way of doing it than brute'ing a diff.

Thank you again!

diff and fgrep are about as elegant as it gets when you attempt to add new things... when I was in your situation...

Each build ( modded buildroot ) I'd keep;

• config.gz ( technically line below is the same thing )
  • build_dir/target.../linux-..../linux..../.config*
  • ./scripts/diffconfig > config.snap
  • target/linux/YOURtarget

then ... later on, you have all you need to backtrack... in the end, I rarely needed most of it.

1 Like

This should be highlighted more. It would save so much heartache hahah..

Thank you again!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.