Minecraft server ontop of OpenWrt on a Raspberry Pi 2

Hi, recently I've been playing Minecraft on my main PC, but I was thinking that it would be useful to have a Minecraft server on my "router" (Raspberry Pi 2), I know that the Raspberry Pi can run Minecraft, so It shouldn't be a problem to run a Minecraft server... There would be 2 to 3 people connected max... so I don't think it would be a problem...

So is it possible? I've been looking about this on the internet and it seems that no one has ever done it, at least with a Raspberry Pi, I've found people using old routers but couldn't get anything because of the hardware limits...

In short, no.

You'd first have to port/ build JAVA to run on musl (and that's far from trivial, as you'll need something newer and beefier than JamVM/ JAVA2), I'd assume there to be lots of other missing bits and pieces.

From a security point of view, it would be madness to run a server like this on your router (maybe fine with the hardware, maybe fine with OpenWrt once you've ported its dependencies (seriously non-trivial) - but a router is a highly security sensitive component, you really shouldn't run anything with a huge attack surface on your router).

2 Likes

well technically is not a router, is a Raspberry Pi used as a router, and it's not the "main router"... I just want to know if it's possible, not the "security issues", i understand that, but i won't use it for thousands of clients, just for 2 o 3 top...

Possible? Yes. Worth the probably hundreds of hours to port OpenJDK and the database drivers? Compared to another $5-50 SBC running Raspbian or the like? Only you can answer that for yourself.

hmm... I understand... is just that it took me a lot of time setting up OpenWRT to work as i want and i don't want to erase all that just to have the server working... anyways, Ill use another computer then.. unless I find someone who might already ported it... idk...

That's probably too slow hardware in general given
https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/server-hardware-for-a-large-server-in-2019.359508/ but I haven't really tried to host a mc server.