MikroTik RB493G, cannot get Switch0 / ETH0 to work

Dear Community,

I have been trying to install and configure the latest release of OpenWRT on my new RB493G.
Flashing works, I can get onto the Serial console, SSH and Luci via web, but network services only work on external ports ETH6 - ETH9 (internal eth1.1). If I plug network into ETH2-ETH5 (eth0) I do not get ping replies from the router. Also, traffic is not "switched" between Switch0 and Switch1: A device plugged into Switch0 cannot ping a device plugged into Switch1.

I did try reflashing with openwrt 18 and 19, and did not change stock config besides the "br-lan" IP address. I have updated to latest git packages.

I did delete the bridge and tried configuring interfaces for eth1.1 and eth0, eth0.1 and other permutations, only configs for the eth1.1 interface ports resulted in expected ping replies. I did disable the firewall.

I must be doing something wrong but cannot pinpoint the root cause. I have found an old bugreport that describes my problem:

Could any RB493G user point me in the right direction? Or is the Mikrotik Hardware that I should not be investing time into (legacy)?

Thanks, and best regards
Bloop

@Bloopy2k, welcome to the community!

To be clear, are they ETH or a Switch?

Hi,

on the case the ports in questions are labeled "ETH2 - ETH5".
On Linux, those are dedicated to CPU port "eth0" which is assigned to "switch0" (LUCI network -> Switch).
The default config is to bridge "eth0.1" and "eth1.1" (notation to my understanding is "CPU port . VLAN ID"). The bridge is assigned an IP address, services reply to it on eth1.1, not on eth0.1.

Does this answer your question?

Cheers

Bloop

It did provide some clarity, thanks. By default in OpenWrt...usually 4 ports are LAN and 1 is WAN. You don't have to configure it.

Perhaps we need to see your switch config, as your device seems to have 2 switches (and more than 5 Ethernet ports).

Correct,

the RB493G has a total of 9 Ethernet ports via 2 switches. The default config designates 8 LAN and 1 WAN port. This is the very default config that already exhibits my indicated problem:

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fde7::/48'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth0.1 eth1.1'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'