MikroTik License Backup? - Before Installing LEDE

Hey all,

I have a MikroTik RB433AH. I have a question regarding the OEM RouterOS before I attempt to flash LEDE. I want to backup the license on the currently-installed OS. I'd like to use it at a later date. I've come to understand that the process may not be quite that simple, though.

I read the "Using the License" section at: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:License#Using_the_License

• I'm under the impression that the license key is a one-way install
  • The key appears to be tied to the flash chip and/or other hardware itself
  • The only method to backup would be to do a full image of the flash chip

Am I correct in understanding that in order to restore the OEM Router OS, that I need to make a full image of the flash before erasing it?

If so, are there instructions available to completing this process...is it even possible to access the flash at that level?

Do you use the management software?

Thanks

Can I Format or Re-Flash the drive?
Formatting, and Re-Imaging the drive with non-mikrotik tools (like DD and Fdisk) will destroy your license! Be very careful and contact mikrotik support before doing this. It is not recommended, as mikrotik support might deny your request for a replacement license. For this use MikroTik provided tools Netinstall or CD-install that are freely available from our download page.

Can I temporary use the HDD for something else, other than RouterOS?
As stated above, no.

I beleive I found the answer, but it will require a Windows PC:

From: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/rb433#save_your_routeros_license_key

If you have access to the MikroTik's Winbox software, you can export the license file from System→Licence, as stated on the RouterBoard 411 page.

I'll attempt this and update the thread.

EDIT: Winbox runs with WINE emulation layer...therefore it runs on Linux - no PC needed.

OK, at this time, I cannot reach the OEM IP of 192.168.88.1.

• I do not receive an address via DHCP
  • I cannot reach it by assigning a static IP
  • I am able to reach the conseole via serial cable, and I see the following

The following default configuration has been installed on your router:
LAN:
IP on ether1: 192.168.88.1/24;

I see the neighbor announcements.

Yes, I'm on ether1...any ideas?

MikroTik RouterOS 6.42rc11 (c) 1999-2018

I proceeded without (I prefer OpenWRT!!!). I determined that the Ethernet must work (since I saw discovery packets), and flashed it! Also, sysupgrade works after loading the ELF via netboot.

See: MikroTik RouterBOARD 493G - Install / Upgrade from OpenWRT

You can find the correct file in the /mikrotik directory, not nand.

THE WIKI DOES NOT REFLECT THIS INFORMATION; AND THE FILES THAT THE WIKI INSTRUCTS THE USER TO TO DOWNLOAD DO NOT EXIST IN THE 17.01.4 FOLDER.

For 64 MB flash (i.e. the RB443AH), you would pick the 64m file, for others, pick large.