Mi Router 4A Giga Edition - missing shielding, big deal?

Hi,

I just received a Mi Router 4A Giga Edition and opened it to check the flash chip. It is missing shielding as reported here: Feedback - Xiaomi 4A Gigabit router switch patches - PLEASE CLOSE THREAD! - #3 by chris_joki

how big of a problem is that?

I'm by no means an expert in this regard, but, personally, I wouldn't worry. I have a TP-Link Archer C7 v2 for years now and that doesn't have any shielding around it's radios or SoC by design, for instance. So, I wouldn't assume that the shielding is crucial. I would rather check how the device performs and if that is satisfactory, I'd keep the device and use it.

1 Like

You can check the FCC certification photos at, for example, https://fccid.io/2AFZZR4A (assuming that is your model).

On a device certified with shields but then missing them, it potentially may cause interference with other devices, and/or be more sensitive to interference from other devices.

2 Likes

As the OP said in the linked thread...

"Going right back to Xiaomi"

I'd send it back.

1 Like

thanks, I got a bit ahead of myself and put openwrt on it already. I'd have to look into reverting it to send it back :slight_smile:
I might just test it some more first.

no shielding on the photos, so at least there should be no interference with other devices, that's already that. thanks for the link.