MF286D modem not working

Hi, I have a three branded MF286D, with a modem that refuses to work under openwrt. Any ideas?

The modem worked fine, with this sim, before flashing openwrt.

ati
Manufacturer: ZTE CORPORATION
Model: MF286DMODULE
Revision: BD_MF286DMODULEV1.0.0B07
SVN: 01
IMEI: 866754044479058
+GCAP: +CGSM

OK
at+cgdcont?
+CGDCONT: 1,"IP","data.lycamobile.co.uk","0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0
+CGDCONT: 2,"IPV6","ims","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0
+CGDCONT: 3,"IPV6","sos","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,1

OK
AT+CGPADDR
+CGPADDR: 1,10.120.141.233
+CGPADDR: 2,42.3.158.192.255.210.48.33.0.0.0.0.37.125.210.117
+CGPADDR: 3,0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0

OK

There was a fourth entry from three, which I removed as per some advice from another thread on here (though I lost the tab). It didn't change anything.

I have tried to update the modem, and it appears to work from the responses to the fota commands, and does reset itself, but the output of ati never changes.

The uqmi commands always hangs, and ctrl-c results in a failed to connect to service error:

root@OpenWrt:~# uqmi -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-data-status
^C"Failed to connect to service"

/etc/config/network:

[..]
config interface 'lte'
	option proto 'qmi'
	option device '/dev/cdc-wdm0'
	option apn 'data.lycamobile.co.uk'
	option auth 'none'
	option pdptype 'ipv4v6'
root@OpenWrt:~# ifstatus lte
{
	"up": false,
	"pending": true,
	"available": true,
	"autostart": true,
	"dynamic": false,
	"proto": "qmi",
	"data": {

	}
}

System logs: https://pastebin.com/raw/LQuuZ8mH

After ifup lte, system logs additionally show this:

Fri Jun  7 00:03:48 2024 daemon.notice netifd: lte (2564): Stopping network lte
Fri Jun  7 00:03:48 2024 daemon.notice netifd: lte (2564): Command failed: ubus call network.interface notify_proto { "action": 0, "link-up": false, "keep": false, "interface": "lte" } (Permission denied)
Fri Jun  7 00:03:48 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'lte' is now down
Fri Jun  7 00:03:48 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'lte' is setting up now
Fri Jun  7 00:03:48 2024 daemon.notice netifd: lte (2573): Waiting for SIM initialization
Fri Jun  7 00:03:49 2024 daemon.warn odhcpd[1346]: No default route present, overriding ra_lifetime!

I also tried making this change to /lib/netifd/proto/qmi.sh with no success.

In my case, the unit works and logs the same state until yours:
Thu Jun 6 23:58:55 2024 daemon.notice netifd: lte (1669): Starting network lte

after that I see in the syslog the following:

Sat Jun 8 19:57:42 2024 daemon.notice netifd: lte (2242): Setting up wwan0
Sat Jun 8 19:57:42 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'lte' is now up
Sat Jun 8 19:57:42 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'wwan0' link is up

The difference I noticed is in the /etc/config/network : option pdptype 'ipv4v6'
I have an option pdptype 'ipv4'

I would also recommend upgrading the modem to B12.