Mesh setup and Opkg

Hi,

I installed Mesh on to my Banana PI by using those scripts. However, now while I can ping local machines, internet, etc, opkg can't update or install. However, do I resolve this? The interface is set to dhcp.

Thanks,

Aaron

Does the AP have DNS and GW configured ?

APs don't need it, to be functional.

1 Like

The script turns the mesh point into a dumb AP by disabling the firewall, DNS, and DHCP. opkg needs the dnsmasq and odhcpd services turned back on temporarily to work again.

Not really. opkg needs a nameserver and a gateway to the internet. Both can be configured from the interface or acquired by dhcp.

1 Like

I’m just providing workaround solutions that I’ve encountered before. Obviously not the best, but it works. If there’s a permanent way to have opkg work without dnsmasq and odhcpd enabled for dumb AP’s, please share how. I’d greatly appreciate it as it would make my setup more simple, too.

As already stated, add default gw and DNS(es).

2 Likes

To the lan interface?

Yes, since there's no WAN.

1 Like

Thank you :pray:

Did it solve the problem?

Yes. It worked just as they said.

In the lan interface settings of my dumb AP’s, I have my main routers ip listed as the gateway and under the advance settings, I have my main routers ip listed for the DNS. opkg is now working without me having to temporarily enable dnsmasq and odhcpd.

usually you just have to add some random DNS to /etc/resolv.conf, but the setting doesn't survive a reboot.

1 Like

Cool! Will have to see if it works for me when I get back home after xmas.

That because resolv.conf just references a different file. I remember reading that to make it permanent you need edit a file.d or something?

By adding the DNS to the lan network interface definition, that should solve the problem (in other words editing /etc/config/network or doing this via LuCI)

1 Like

Maybe I should contact Marc on his discord and tell him to add that his script? I don't think it does it consistently.

Will have a look when I get home to see what I have in the script.

You can delete the symbolic link which is /etc/resolv.conf and create a new file with the necessary information. Then it will survive a reboot. If you add it in the sysupgrade list it will survive an upgrade as well.

Are you sure it survives a reboot? From memory I don't think it does.

What I said earlier (and I think this was suggested further upthread, too) will survive reboots: