Mesh LAN to use internet trough NAT or GRE?

I am having trouble on this so I hope you can help.

I have 3 routers config.
Main AP (10.0.0.1)
Mesh Extender - Working WWAN client to Main AP (addr 10.0.0.20) + participating in Mesh LAN with Mesh Client
Mesh Client- Out of range WWAN client to Main AP (addr 10.0.0.30) + participating in Mesh LAN with Mesh Extender

How do I enable internet to Mesh Client from Mesh Extender considering the fact that the Main AP has to see the original MAC address of Mesh Client and its WWAN IP (10.0.0.30) in order to provide Internet.

I reached the point where firewalls are now the same on both extender and client and I am able to reach the LuCi to both devices from that Mesh LAN.
Ok but I can't seem to access internet from Mesh Client.

This is firewall for both extender and client.
I had to enable Masquerading in order to have LuCi accessible. Do you know why ?

The Mesh interfaces are static ips -> 192.168.168.20 (Mesh Extender) and 192.168.168.30 (Mesh Client) without assigned gateway ip
and I access both LuCi on these addresses without a problem.

It seems that best bet is NAT ?
I added this to Mesh Extender

No luck to ping 10.0.0.1 or the internet from Mesh Client.
Also I don't know on the Mesh interface if I should add 10.0.0.1 as Gateway IP or that doesn't matter.

What am I missing ?

Thanks

Your terminology does not make sense.
What do you mean by "Mesh Extender" and "Mesh Client"?
For a mesh network you do not need to do anything with NAT, GRE or firewall zones.

Are you trying to achieve a three node mesh with one node providing an Internet feed?

I suggest you read this:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/mesh11sd
then come back here to ask any questions.

1 Like