Mesh issues with linksys WRT3200ACM

I'm having some problems using B.A.T.M.A.N on my router. I've been trying to set it up using the guide here:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/batman

I've configured my interfaces according to the guide, but when I try to bring the mesh network up with ifconfig I get this:

root@OpenWrt:~# ifconfig mesh0 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

Now, based on this the results of iw phy, it seems I should be able to set up a mesh link:

root@OpenWrt:~# iw phy | fgrep mesh
                 * mesh point
                 * set_mesh_config
                 * join_mesh
                 * mesh point: 0x00 0x10 0x20 0x30 0x40 0x50 0x60 0x70 0x80 0x90 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0 0xe0 0xf0
                 * mesh point: 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0
                 * #{ AP } <= 16, #{ mesh point } <= 1, #{ managed } <= 1,
                 * mesh point
                 * set_mesh_config
                 * join_mesh
                 * mesh point: 0x00 0x10 0x20 0x30 0x40 0x50 0x60 0x70 0x80 0x90 0xa0 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0 0xe0 0xf0
                 * mesh point: 0xb0 0xc0 0xd0
                 * #{ AP } <= 16, #{ mesh point } <= 1, #{ managed } <= 1,

And, just for kicks, here's what's in my config files

/etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-iface 'mesh0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option ifname 'mesh0'
        option network 'nwi_mesh0'
        option mode 'mesh'
        option mesh_fwding '0'
        option mesh_id <removed>
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key <removed>

/etc/config/network:

config interface 'bat0'
        option proto 'batadv'
        option routing_algo 'BATMAN_IV'
        option aggregated_ogms 1
        option ap_isolation 0
        option bonding 0
        option fragmentation 1
        #option gw_bandwidth '10000/2000'
        option gw_mode 'off'
        #option gw_sel_class 20
        option log_level 0
        option orig_interval 1000
        option bridge_loop_avoidance 1
        option distributed_arp_table 1
        option multicast_mode 1
        option network_coding 0
        option hop_penalty 30
        option isolation_mark '0x00000000/0x00000000'

config interface 'nwi_mesh0'
        option ifname 'mesh0'
        option mtu '2304'
        option proto 'batadv_hardif'
        option master 'bat0'

Am I configuring something wrong, or is my router just not capable of supporting a mesh network?

No, this device does no support mesh https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues

1 Like

OpenWRT users,

Has anyone worked on fixing this issue or is it not getting fixed? I saw a bunch of arguing over the cost of routers on github, but no one seemed to even try to discuss what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance and stay safe from the thugs and healthy from the Chinese Virus.

Stuart

Is it possible to reverse engineer mwlwifi driver?

Support for the mwlwifi chipset relies heavily on the closed-source firmware that comes with the drivers. Untill someone else decides to reverse-engineer that firmware, all further development depends on the manufacturer, who has expressed his lack of interest in these chipsets.

I would not expect any improvement in the wireless drivers for this router.

So this is of no value in pursuance of effectuating the mesh capability on the wrt3200acm?

In my humble opinion, drivers are currently as goog as they will ever be... but I would love to be proven wrong! :wink:

This is why Openwrt needs their own router Poll - Interest in an OpenWrt purpose built router

Well I think that defeats the entire instigate to OpenWRT honestly and is a downright silly idea. What we do need is to delineate with more increased granularity in the router database if mesh batman or other mesh modes are supported or not on a given router since this seems to be an issue (and I presume from your comments it must exist on many routers as an issue).

Have you found out about the librerouter.org project?
Indeed it is very interesting and I have to admit I have changed my thinking a bit as having a router custom built for OpenWRT might be a very interesting thing to have. I am monitoring their project and plan to contribute some commentary to it.