Mesh Batman-adv mode query

I What version of batman-adv and bactl are installed? Not OpenWrt version, but package version.

Configuration is completely different with later versions than from earlier versions, as called out on the wiki. The wiki only describes the current approach, which was not the approach when 18.06.2 was released, and may not be the approach with current packages for 18.06.2. There is a link on the wiki to the older version of the page.

As a general recommendation, if you are working with sophisticated configuration, then master is likely a better option, due to it being more up to date. As advanced users also often follow master, it also means that releases get less "testing" in these scenarios, especially as they age.

Hi all,
The version of batman-adv installed is "kmod-batman-adv - 4.9.152+2018.1-5"
and the version of batctl is "batctl - 2018.1-1"
Is it just a matter of updating batman-adv file?
Or what steps do I need to do to get 802.11s mesh up and running?
Cheers

Personally, I would update to master ("snapshot") and move to the current configuration approach. The older one I found to be wildly confusing, even after staring at it for several weeks and trying to explain it multiple times.

How is that update to master achieved, is it an systems upgrade, or done through opkg, is their a wiki page that explains what needs to be done.

Cheers

and then use sysupgrade or the equivalent through LuCI

Cheers thanks.

Downloaded the snapshot version "OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r10199-04b45d3 / LuCI Master (f138fc93)" for ubiquiti board, tried to install batman-adv through command line and luci, get the following error below. Installed luci works ok.

Executing package manager

Installing kmod-batman-adv (4.14.125+2019.2-1) to root... Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/generic/packages/kmod-batman-adv_4.14.125%2b2019.2-1_mips_24kc.ipk

Errors

Collected errors: * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ath79/generic/packages/kmod-batman-adv_4.14.125%2b2019.2-1_mips_24kc.ipk, wget returned 4. * opkg_download: Check your network settings and connectivity. * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download kmod-batman-adv. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'? * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-batman-adv.

The opkg install command failed with code 255 .

Installed the latest snapshot to the router station-pro. Installation was successful. Installed all the software needed for the wireless drivers, also installed batman-ad. When i use opkg list-installed all files are present.
Reboot.
Problem no wireless drivers file in etc/config. the file is not visible.

No sign of batman-adv either in the etc/config/network.

Any idea of what i need to do?

Hmmm, usually an image contains all the drivers needed for the wireless the device has. What did you install here?

Would you explain this a bit. What file do you think is missing, and/or what is missing from the files that are there?

I have two wireless drivers one based on ath5k and one based ath9k therefore i usually install kmod-ath5k software.

I also checked for iw, iwinfo, kmod-cfg80211 and mac80211, wireless-regdb.

I currently have an ath9k driver which was working ok before the upgrade, and this is a screen shot below from etc/config.

ath5k may not support mesh. I don’t have any devices that use that driver.

It’s still not clear what you think is missing or wrong in your config.

Check the boot log for wifi related errors.

iw list should show the radios and their capabilities. One of the "firstboot" scripts uses this information to generate an /etc/config/wireless if it does not exist.

1 Like

when I use the command iw list I get no output list.

Also with the upgraded versioni installed, i was expecting to see bat0 in the network file. Am I correct with that assumption.
I bought 6 wireless drivers AR9290 from china, only have one with me at the moment. I had a mesh up ad going in adhoc mode. So I decided to use one driver to upgrade, and use it as a test to see if I could get it upgraded and then work with the rest to see if i could get an 801.11s mesh working.

how do I check the boot log?
Cheers

dmesg | grep -i error

or whatever

1 Like

It's the first part of the "kernel log" after booting. Accessed from the command line with dmesg.

I thought that the AR5416 chip (AR5008 family) was the only Atheros chip that supports n from a parallel PCI bus. It was also the first Atheros n chip. That one chip despite its 5000 number uses ath9k. But it has been discontinued for 10 years.

Given that I don't see /etc/config/wireless in your Windows screenshot, it may be that your device isn't recognizing any wireless devices.

1 Like

I couldn't find anything about "AR9290". What is the number on the actual main chip on the card?

Sorry its AR9220 is the chip i am currently using today.
Using the wireless Linux web page there are only three mini-PCI and I bought 2 of all three see below
|Unex |DNMA-92| Mini-PCI|9220| X2
|Unex |DNMA-91| Mini-PCI|9223| X2
Unex DNMA-83 Mini-PCI 9160 X2

I am not home at the moment so have only access to the AR9220
I can try the other drivers tomorrow and see are the recognised, if its a driver issue. I just wanted to make sure that I was not doing something obviously wrong. Was working ok until I did the upgrade.

Hi all,
Following on from yesterday,
I have switched out the wireless driver that was not working with the router board flashed with upgraded software (no wireless file visible in etc/config), and installed it in one of the router board that had the original version of openwrt installed and its working perfect.
Tried a different wireless driver (AR9223) in the upgraded router board still no wireless file present.

Any ideas appreceated.