Maximum User for OpenWrt router

Is there any limitation for the maximum users for an OpenWrt-based router? How many maximum users can obtain if I use OpenWRT x86 high-end chassis with 3.24Ghz CPU and 8GB RAM?

If I remember right there was some note in the manual (the original and not OpenWRT user guide) for dnsmasq or the dhcp server to use it for small offices or home under about 1200client.

But that is more of a limit to be able to handle the ip number leases. A normal homerouter will never reach those number of clients.

In practical terms the real limit will be your internet connection capacity divided on how fast every client are supposed to to surf and how fast your hardware can move the data. This will also depend on how effective you have configured your actual network, how many switches you have, is the network divided by VLANs so not everyone gives all data.

2 Likes
1 Like

I will use external AP for WiFi not embedded in the OpenWRT platform. I will use it as a gateway router from where the DHCP will be served.

In short, the number of clients is virtually unlimited.
Assuming you have enough ports/switches/APs to connect them all.

1 Like

You probably want to calculate how much memory each connection is consuming. Still this will not say how many users can connect, but how many connections can the users open.

2 Likes