Manually upgrading transmission package on OpenWrt 18.06.02?

I am running transmission (daemon, cli, web and remote) v2.93 (3c5870d4f5) from the official OpenWrt package repository and I would like to update it to the latest available on the official site, which is v2.94( d8e60ee44f).

Is there an easy way to achieve it? Do I have to recompile it manually? Or is there any official source I could add to get the ipk in a straightforward way? (I am pretty new to Linux).

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

If it’s not available from the repo for your device and release, you’d have to modify the package Makefile and build it yourself. Building it into an image would be wise, as I believe it may depend on packages that may have changed significantly since you installed them.

1 Like

Thank you.

I find it too difficult as I have never compile anything, so I will wait for the official repo to get updated.

2 Likes

We might be waiting a while until v19, transmission isn't well maintained

Hold on here, before you go pointing fingers....

• Pretty much all involved are volunteers and do this in their spare time
  • You're more than welcome to contribute

Regarding releases there are a few things that may not be apparent for everyone.

• There are no "teams" handling different releases (due to lack of interest/not enough people)
  • OpenWrt releases are branched relatively infrequent and master branch tends to diverge quickly
    This might involve core libraries getting updated, change of kernel versions (4.9 to 4.14 etc) etc
  • Most devices aren't based on x86/x86-64 architecture which makes testing quite a bit more complicated than just firing up a VM.

MIPS/PPC/ARM are more "fragile" than x86/x86-64 since these platforms recieve a lot less testing from upstream and usage in general. I'm not saying that anyone is doing a bad job it's just the reality how things are. You can emulate most platforms but it takes time and isn't very straightforward so what you end up doing is actually testing things on your own device(s). You might have multiple devices at your disposal but these are usually based on different architectures and flashing back and forth is far from ideal and not to mention time consuming. Keep in mind that just because something compiles doesn't mean that it works as expected (ie testing required).

Having lets say one or two devices available you more or less have two choices, either follow master branch and try to keep everything working, stay on the release branch and more or less handle everything on your own or juggle between both. Since the majority of contributors/developers tries to follow upstream as close as possible most end up using the master branch.

You can also consider release branches more or less equal to Debian's which means bug fixes only. The main difference is that their releases have longer lifespan mainly because of more devs/contributors and of course interest. This however leads to "... As long as you don't mind three year old packages." to quote a certain website.

There simply isn't enough people to maintain or interest in doing so. Another issue worth taking into account is that since most devices have very limited storage and due to how squashfs etc works it's not really viable to update various packages without reflashing.

If you want the latest I'd advice you to use snapshots or preferably compile your own firmware but be aware that it might break at certain times or you could backport and submit a pull request.

2 Likes

Please note that transmission 2.94 is currently available in the 18.06 packages download repo. You can use opkg to install it.

sorry I didn't mean to offend, I'm just really sad openwrt isn't as seamless for newb users like me and wish packages were somewhat independent of the mainline repo so I can upgrade them more easily

how do I setup the 18.06 packages download repo and install 2.94? This isn't exactly clear as I'm on 18.06 stable already but transmission 2.94 doesn't show up in the software downloads section

Have you already tried

opkg update
opkg find 'trans*'

Are you on 18.06.2? There is not really anything called "18.06 stable"

1 Like