Maintenance / Documentation

Go to sleep @mbuette, you are too drunk to understand what they are writing there. We aren't going to discuss security tonight.

2 Likes

:laughing:

[You're not] OK.

I'd love to chat about security. :smiley:

@mbuette thanks for adding information to the device page in the wiki, I'm sorry it seems I did indeed forget to write a line about using the other device's install instructions in the wg3526 page

1 Like

@bobafetthotmail looking at your WG2626 page, I noticed that your bootlog is more than just dmesg. It seems to contain output from the bootloader as well? How did you get that?
Thanks!

https://openwrt.org/toh/zbt/wg2626#serial using the serial console will give you access to the bootloader and debugging output of the SOCs ROM initialization.

Thanks! But sorry, no :slight_smile: I assume that "serial" refers to the 3 holes in the PCB labeled (RX/TX/GND)? I'm not really a hardware guy, so I'll leave it at the dmesgfor the device page....

It's not "my WG2626 page", it's not "my wiki" and I don't even own these devices. :smiley:

To get the full boot log like that you need to buy a USB-TTL converter that can do both 5 and 3.3 Volt (around 5 euro on ebay/amazon, cheap devices used for Arduino and other things like that), connect RX on TX and TX on RX (or the reverse, it depends on what the labels stand for, there is no risk in swapping them), and GND on GND on the device. DO NOT connect power pin, the USB-TTL dongle is powered by USB already.

Having serial access like that can be useful for devices where the bootloader has no default recovery, as with this serial console you can stop booting and write commands to the bootloader to load manually files from a special shared folder on your PC (it's created by a "TFTP server"), and then flash them manually.
It's also useful if you make mistakes and misconfigure the network so the device becomes inaccessible over the network. Serial console is always available. You can obviously reset the device too, which is how people usually do it on consumer routers.

Since your device's bootloader has a recovery with web interface (even if it is in chinese), you probably don't need to care about serial access.
Also, given how similar the two devices are, they will probably have the same bootloader (same in the sense of same features), so it's not really a big loss if you don't add it in the wiki.

1 Like