Maintenance / Documentation

Hi all,
I just provisioned my 2nd OpenWRT router, so I'll stay here a while :slight_smile:

And just this week, I told my pupils that keeping your software up-to-date is the most important security measure you can take. But with OpenWRT it does not seem to be that easy: When I started, I installed luci-ssl on my 1st router, because, basically that's what you are supposed to do...

After an upgrade from 19.07.1 to .2, I was confused, why SSL didn't work anymore. It was (thanks to @psherman) the fact that I didn't reinstall the package after upgrading my router. But then I was confused, like: you're a CCNA, MCSE and MCT (brag), why didn't you figure this out yourself?

Well, mainly because there is a chapter Troubleshooting and maintenance on the main Wiki, which I read. The only problem is that there is no "Maintenance" section!

Reading a bit further I discovered that there are a couple of ways you can take, to mitigate this issue:

1. Update packages (though this post definitely discourages that, at least for snapshot-releases): Updating packages in the current version, this would be most useful for security-related updates (is there a way to find automatically out about those?). Also, in Luci, is there no "Install all" button? You actually assume users who update once a Month to install all updates separately? Also, is there a way to automatically install security updates only? Personally, I'd rather be offline, than compromised.
  2. Upgrade your distribution from 19.07.3 to 19.07.4, that's where I would like to see something like:"reinstall your additional packages" and you may find them using a 5-line shell script. Weird, but better then nothing...
  3. For me, with 2 Routers and various additional packages expected, I probably should go the "build environment" route. I leave that for later. But I assume that I can have different configuration for my different targets? Like: this is a LTE Router and this is my LAN Access point?
  4. Run an image-distribution server somewhere on the Internet. For me that would be overkill, but should be mentioned.

As with a lot a projects, the software is OK, but documentation is lacking. So, if I were to be a tech-savy person, interested in giving back to the community, how would I go about it?

Wiki is open for additions, edits etc, so feel free to contribute there.

1 Like

Yeah, but now on the main Wiki, I'm presented with this:

{{pagequery>@:docs:guide-user:services *;sort=ns,title;group;cols=1;hidestart;hidejump;display={title};filter=!name:sidebar}}

The OpenWRT guys/gals really don't make it easy to contribute... But I'll keep trying...

Sorry, wrong link, the Edit buttons are below the sections, but still: assume I would like to add a section "Maintenance" to the higher section "Troubleshooting and maintenance", what would I do? If I go the Edit, this text-box appears:

===== Troubleshooting and maintenance =====
{{pagequery>@:docs:guide-user:troubleshooting *;sort=ns,title;group;cols=1;hidestart;hidejump;display={title};filter=!name:sidebar}}

So what??

You are trying to create a whole new page?
Then go here and create it.

As I said: OpenWRT is highly resistant against good documentation! Now I get:You've followed a link to a topic that doesn't exist yet. If permissions allow, you may create it by clicking on Create this page.
But there's no link, "Create this page" is just bold text.

So your AI decided I'm not worthy to contribute.The Forum works for me so far.

Could somebody "worthy" please update the Wiki?. But please, not like @bobafetthotmail who promised to update the Wiki, which obviously never happened. He was probably overwhelmed by the Editor as well....

I created it for you. Apparently your user level doesn't allow page creation.

Huh, what does this mean???

WTF?

I think you should apologize to @bobafetthotmail.

2 Likes

In see a new page "test" but there is no "Edit" link for me. As I said, I tried and failed to contribute. And I'm fine with that. Not every project wants help from "outsiders"....

Are you OK?

If you have a problem posting in the Wiki...maybe you should ask? (that's what I did when I first got here and didn't understand, in fact, I still ask how to post to the Wiki.)

https://www.dokuwiki.org/edit_window

1 Like

So you don't have this menu on the right?

1 Like

Sorry @bobafetthotmail: But I didn`t find your update. I looked on the Table of Hardware page as well as on the Techdata page and didn't find anything about Chinese characters and stuff. And your post is, for me, basically an image, without any links. If you posted somewhere else, PLEASE let me know....

Looks like you are looking at the wrong places...
https://openwrt.org/toh/zbt/wg2626

1 Like

OK, I found it, thank you! Just getting used to whatever CMS OpenWRT is using..

OK, found it there, but the OP, like me was using a ZBT-WG3526 board, (aka an Cioswi CSW-WR646 router), not the legacy WG2626. And these Routers are very badly documented on OpenWRT.org...

I am beginning to seriously doubt your ability to understand things...

So I think you need to follow the instructions for the wg2626 https://openwrt.org/toh/zbt/wg2626

I'm OK, just getting used to the OpenWRT way of doing things...including their CMS...

OK, I'm seriously drunk by now (02.02 AM local time on a Sunday) but doesn't the post explicitly talk about a WG3526 and guess what I just got this router, which is still different from the WG2626 router your post refers to. At least it has a different "target" in OpenWRT. And the solution is actually provided by @wg3526_201908 with a lot of reference to LTEHacks.. Anyway, if you just got a new WG3526, what are you searching for: WG2626 Seriously?

Wrong router, you get that, right? Also: not sorry anymore...

Anyway: My primary topic was completely different from what you see in the posts. How do you keep OpenWRT secure? With Windows I just install all updates, With Debian I can just install security updates automatically. How is that supposed to work with OpenWRT?